Thread: Xp Shut Down

TClite's Avatar Poster
    are there any ways to avoid the "saving your settings" routine on xp shut down, as my pc halts at this, due to an ongoing problem, i heard there was a way to make xp shut down like 98, ive tried most, if not all the tweaks, but advice and links all handy...

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    that's not safe to do though.. u might start missing settings..

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Maybe stating what the ongoing problem is may help to solve
    your problem ?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    This worked for me having a similar problem in Windows 2000, but I'm not sure if it will work for XP.

Run gpedit.msc. Go to Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System -> Logon and select the Maximum retries to unload and update user profile policy. Open it and change the max retries to 0.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    As stated above. What's the ongoing problem? Those fast shutdown tweaks can cause more problems than they solve.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    imported_jamesandpie
    Make a shortcut on your desktop with the program line "C:\WINDOWS\system32\shutdown.exe -s -t 01" this will then shutdown your computer immediatly.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    TClite's Avatar Poster
    well folks here goes........

after prolonged use, particularly arfter downloading a big file from kazaa my modem has a sever malfunction with closing its connection. all programs are closed, kazaa too. It runs fine whilst im on the net, i have researched this for quite some time.....i have made sure all my power saving options are unchecked and to my knowledge i have the most up to date drivers for the zoom 5510 dsl. I just cant figure this one out.....when i disconnect i notice that my modem monitor (connection status monitor) shows that im still recieving...then stops after about 10 seconds...where after my network connections crash.....i cant enter network connections via control pannel or task manager, moreover its affecting my machine quite a bit as it cannot shutdown, it hangs whilst saving settings.....so if i could avoid these parts of the shut down process im thinking this problem would be less significant, as i need to hit the reset button to switch my machine off

Make a shortcut on your desktop with the program line "C:\WINDOWS\system32\shutdown.exe -s -t 01" this will then shutdown your computer immediatly.
    little more info please, shortcut to what? thanks....

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    TClite, I don't know about that. But keep sharing here & at other forums. Did you try a Google web & Google groups search on your prob? Try iexbeta forums they're pretty knowledgeable. Also this is to give your topic a bump. I suggest you do likewise in a couple days if you don't get help.