Thread: . : Project Looking Glass : .

KazaaBoy's Avatar Nothing On The Moon.
    What if windows were translucent so you could see multiple windows at the same time? What if you could tack a note to yourself right on the Web page you're viewing? What if your CD or movie database became a 3D jukebox? In the future, innovations from Sun Microsystems will make these scenarios a reality. Project Looking glass, still in early development, will harness these Java technology-based developments to bring 3D windowing capabilities to the desktop, offering a far richer user experience for work and "play."

Source

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Windows Longhorn will be based on a 3d desktop, too. AND, it's not crappy java and made by crappy Sun.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Yup tried it, pretty impressive concept but java makes it too slow and still occasionaly experiencing many crashes.

But great concept!
    <span style='color:black'> I am a part of all that I have met - Lord Tennyson</span>
    <span style='color:blue'>Try not to let your mind wander...it is too small and fragile to be out by itself</span>

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Ex-member
    Originally posted by Xilo@31 March 2004 - 01:41
    Windows Longhorn will be based on a 3d desktop, too. AND, it&#39;s not crappy java and made by crappy Sun.
    No, it&#39;s made by crappier MicroSoft

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    the java sun one looks pretty promising.
    demo have alook at that.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    pretty cool, cheers for the demo link

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    atiVidia's Avatar ^would've been cool.
    Originally posted by Xilo@30 March 2004 - 21:41
    Windows Longhorn will be based on a 3d desktop, too. AND, it&#39;s not crappy java and made by crappy Sun.
    lets bring you up to date: java is better than c++ (its got no base OS)

sun is better than micro&#036;hit

longhorn sux internet.news&#39; BALLS&#33;&#33;&#33;

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Java better than C++? Hahah... Java is a piece of crap. Sure, it&#39;s easier than C++, but it&#39;s also slower. Because the same code is able to run on any platform, it needs something to interpret the compiled Java files which slows it down.

C++ doesn&#39;t have a base os, either. You just need a compiler for whatever os you are on and a bit extra coding for multiplatform programs. I&#39;d much rather code a bit more for multiplatform support than deal with slower java code.

Nothing, any time soon, will replace C and C++. The speed, size, portability, and power of these two languages put them at the top (aside from binary and assembly, but those aren&#39;t practical to make full programs out of).

BTW: Most Computer Science Majors I&#39;ve talked to hate Java.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Just another waste of memory and processing power if ya ask me.

Half the people can&#39;t even use Windows accordingly, let alone a translucent o.s..

Shame on Java. Nice demo though. Yay I can stream in Linux&#33;

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    i was under the impression sun had released a beta of this for linux but i might be wrong.