Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What The Hell?

I meant master!

Its set as master!
    Still nothing., the drive is hot is on, but nothing...

help

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by adamp2p@30 March 2004 - 23:01
    I meant master!

Its set as master!
    Still nothing., the drive is hot is on, but nothing...

help
    what about other drives, such as optical drivers, are they also not being detected? or is it just the hard drive?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Western Digital had a single drive setting.

If the drive is the only drive then the jumper needed to be set to 'single' as in the only drive.

Could you post the actual model number of the drive?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    The optical drive is detected, the drive is a 60 GB 2 mb cache model, I cant get the # right now because I am still testing..

any suggestions?

thsx

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by adamp2p@30 March 2004 - 23:13
    The optical drive is detected, the drive is a 60 GB 2 mb cache model, I cant get the # right now because I am still testing..

any suggestions?

thsx
    Did the drive come with a manual\instruction sheet? It should tell you the different jumper settings to use. Find the one for a single device, i forgot about that with some drives...

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Okay, it sees it now, but now won't boot from disk,

HOW DO YOU CLEAR THE CMOS?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    What is the problem? How can I get this thing to boot from the CD? I have it set to boot from CD rom, it is recognized. The hard drive is recognized too.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Originally posted by adamp2p@30 March 2004 - 21:05
    What is the problem?  How can I get this thing to boot from the CD? I have it set to boot from CD rom, it is recognized. The hard drive is recognized too.

It's a Dell (if your siggy is true) - call Dell support. All the friends I know with Dell's always get useful help from their tech support. Did you set the boot SEQUENCE so the FIRST boot drive is the ATAPI-CDROM and the SECOND bood drive is the hard disk? If it sees both, but see the HD first, that's where it's gonna boot from.

On second thought and after reading all the other posts, since it sounds like you took it all a part and are trying to put it all back together again, you'd probably just better take it to a Dell center and let them reassemble it. beeps during the POST test (Power On Sequence Tests) are NOT a good sign and you can fry your MOBO and other stuff handling it too much (especially when you start dripping sweat & tears into the works and chain smoking cigs around it to relieve the stress.)

Good luck! I've been there myself, but simply went to bed and tried the next day. Two days later, I got everything working again, but I was messing with a two very old PC's putting pieces together from both to create a new PC from the cannibalized parts. If I'd screwed up, there was nothing lost anyway since they were both junkers. Still - I feel your pain.
    Dare to think for yourself.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Nope, this is not a dell, is is another system that I am putting together for my mechanic...and it is giving me a bad taste in my mouth and a generally bad impression of Asus, AMD, and their associated hardware.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Originally posted by adamp2p@31 March 2004 - 05:27
    Nope, this is not a dell, is is another system that I am putting together for my mechanic...and it is giving me a bad taste in my mouth and a generally bad impression of Asus, AMD, and their associated hardware.
    Why should you get a bad taste from these companies? You started this thread by saying you don't know where to put the case connectors so it's obvious you're not proficient with hardware, so don't immediately leap to a 'faulty shit hardware' conclusion.

Do you have a manual for the Asus? If not, download it. Read it. Check everything.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast