Your Ad Here Your Ad Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Format Hdd

  1. #1
    Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    28
    I have a secondary computer which was running on Windows 2000 (I know its probably the worst Windows OS ever but it was on before I got it ). I installed XP on top of it and basically messed up the whole computer when I tried to get rid of Windows 2000 as I deleted loads of OS stuff manually. Then I tried formatting my hard drive (I know the risks, I made a backup of everything important, blah blah ) but it won't let me do it, says the volume is in use by another process or something similar. Furthermore, the only icon on desktop when XP starts is the recycle bin. Thirdly, I can't even get it to run in Windows 2000 mode.

    I just want to totally wipe the HDD clean and start over.

    PLEASE HELP ME!

  2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    North-east england UK
    Posts
    2,661
    proberly the best way to do it is through partition magic 8. It's how I would do it

  3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Never deleat stuff manully from an OS folder

    1)Get a DOS boot disc
    2) insert DOS disc and it will load DOS
    3)Type Format C: (replace C with whatever your hard drive is called

    I think its:

    Format C:

    like that i could be wrong, If i am do this:

    1)Do steps 1 and 2 as above.
    2)Type FDISK and then go into the section where it displays your hard drive and format from there.


    The reason you can't format from Windows is that the hard drive is being used BY windows! If it was a secondary hard drive and didn't have the OS on there it would do it fine!

    Note i always get this mixed up it might be FDISK or it might be FDISC but i think its FDISK



  4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    28
    Originally posted by peerzyboy@31 March 2004 - 17:45
    Never deleat stuff manully from an OS folder
    I know that now and I'm sorry!



    Thanks for the quick response Marius24 and peerzyboy.

    Couple of follow up questions if I may:

    Marius24: What's "partition magic 8"?

    peerzyboy: The link for the DOS Boot Disc is to a defunct website. Any chance you could provide me with another link please.

    Thanks again, much appreciated!

  5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    atiVidia's Avatar ^would've been cool.
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,551
    Originally posted by :&#045@31 March 2004 - 12:34
    I have a secondary computer which was running on Windows 2000 (I know its probably the worst Windows OS ever but it was on before I got it ). I installed XP on top of it and basically messed up the whole computer when I tried to get rid of Windows 2000 as I deleted loads of OS stuff manually. Then I tried formatting my hard drive (I know the risks, I made a backup of everything important, blah blah ) but it won't let me do it, says the volume is in use by another process or something similar. Furthermore, the only icon on desktop when XP starts is the recycle bin. Thirdly, I can't even get it to run in Windows 2000 mode.

    I just want to totally wipe the HDD clean and start over.

    PLEASE HELP ME!
    scoreage, my friend


    win2k is actually one of m$' better OSes...



    also, just use killdisk to clean off the entire disk. after the disk is wiped, insert the winXP cd and boot from it. while ur at it, you shoul be able to choose partition sizes...

  6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    forget all that, just boot to the windows xp bootable disk, during the install process you can delete all partitions and reformat during the setup.

    EDIT: If you have the drive set to NTFS the dos boot disk will not help anyway.

  7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    atiVidia's Avatar ^would've been cool.
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,551
    Originally posted by firefox@31 March 2004 - 13:26
    forget all that, just boot to the windows xp bootable disk, during the install process you can delete all partitions and reformat during the setup.
    killdisk does a full 7 stage wipe...

  8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    28
    Originally posted by atiVidia@31 March 2004 - 18:11
    win2k is actually one of m$' better OSes...
    You serious about that? I've had problems all the time with it!

    Thanks for the info anyway. I like the sound of killdisk.



    PS Excuse my ignorance but what does "scoreage" mean?

  9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,042
    Originally posted by :&#045@31 March 2004 - 17:34


    I just want to totally wipe the HDD clean and start over.

    PLEASE HELP ME!
    take out ur hdd....throw in against the wall until it break, buy a new hdd, put winxp on it

    ok, so that might not be best, but i the best way is to use partition magic 8 but im still wondering why u cant just format the hdd when installing a new os

    oh btw, did u buy ur comp, or build it? If u buy ur comp, use the recovery disc they gave you.

  10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    28
    Originally posted by Mr. Elmo@31 March 2004 - 18:35
    take out ur hdd....throw in against the wall until it break, buy a new hdd, put winxp on it

    ok, so that might not be best, but i the best way is to use partition magic 8 but im still wondering why u cant just format the hdd when installing a new os

    oh btw, did u buy ur comp, or build it? If u buy ur comp, use the recovery disc they gave you.
    Would do the throwing thing if I had the money to burn but I'm a bit tight for cash right now.

    What's "partition magic 8"?

    This computer was bought quite a few years ago so I don't have recovery disk - nice try though!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •