Thread: Building A Pc

BANNED
    hi guys, I am going to soon be buying some computer hardware, and I want to know what you guys think that I should get. I am looking for a system that has good performance for it's cost. I am also looking for a mediocre gaming system as well so that I can run splinter cell pandora tomorrow and some other games and linux (of course). What things do you think That I should get for best price and quality? (btw: i am going to be buying them off ebay)

-Case:

-Graphics card:

-Motherboard

-Hard drive

-Cd burner drive

-How much ram?

thx for the input B)

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    First, DO NOT buy your components off of ebay unless you awknowlege the risks.

You should buy your stuff off of newegg, zipzoomfly, or some other reputable website. That way you will save yourself lots of potential hassle(s).

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    BANNED
    Does newegg support paypal? anyways what do you reccomend hardware-wise?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Originally posted by bulio@31 March 2004 - 16:40
    Does newegg support paypal? anyways what do you reccomend hardware-wise?
    How much cash do you have to spend?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    BANNED
    around 300 usd atm will get more soon

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    300usd won't get you all that much
    just start out buying the main components such as mobo, ram, cpu, hd, etc
    then as the money keeps coming in, just keep shellin it back out to get more and more components for your system
    if your on a budget i recommend the 2500+ barton cpu, as it can easily be oc'd to 3200+ speeds with regular air cooling
    also if the mobo you choose supports dual channel, get 2x256 sticks of pc3200 ram rather then one stick of 512, or 2x512 rather then one 1024, etc
    hmm, what else...
    I guess just have a look around and see what you think..then post any questions you have!
    good luck!
    Q6600 @ 3.42Ghz | Gigabyte EP35-DS3R | EVGA 8800GT 721/1802/2006 w/ Accelero S1 | 4gb Crucial DDR2 @ 760mhz | 750gb Hitachi 7k1000 | Corsair 520HX | 2 x Samsung SyncMaster T240 24" | Windows 7 Ultimate

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by kaiweiler@31 March 2004 - 21:34
    300usd won't get you all that much
    just start out buying the main components such as mobo, ram, cpu, hd, etc
    then as the money keeps coming in, just keep shellin it back out to get more and more components for your system
    if your on a budget i recommend the 2500+ barton cpu, as it can easily be oc'd to 3200+ speeds with regular air cooling
    also if the mobo you choose supports dual channel, get 2x256 sticks of pc3200 ram rather then one stick of 512, or 2x512 rather then one 1024, etc
    hmm, what else...
    I guess just have a look around and see what you think..then post any questions you have!
    good luck!
    My favorite motherboards for K7 processors are the asus a7n8x and the gigabyte 7N400L. There are also some other good ones by Epox, Abit and a few other companies but do not buy a cheap motherboard, you will run into many problems. For K7 the current best chipset is the Nforce 2 ultra.

For a 64bit processor im not sure of any good motherboards models but again Asus, Gigabyte, Epox, Abit and a few others are good companies for motherboards. The current leader for chipset is teh VIA KT800 i beleive.

For intel processors again it is the same motherboard companies. But since I do not really like intels 'overpriceness' I do not research anything about them and do not know what any of their chipsets are...

Good luck on finding a new board make sure you get one with dual channel though, and nothing cheap!

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    An auction on ebay ended a few days ago that had 2 sticks of 512mb PC2700 for just over $70 brand new. If you wait awhile and keep searching you can find some awesome deals.
    Need a cheap/easy way of modding your xbox? Check this out.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    BANNED
    ok guys, thx for the info. I will be opening a paypal bank account as soon as I get the time