Thread: Wondering Bout My Router

tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Hey guys,

Well i just realized that ive got 2 new pcs going to be added to my network soon, and ive already got 3 devices on my network with a 4 port router

These are my devices:
    • My pride and joy, this computer, my good one
    • My old computer
    • Im getting a P3 computer from my aunt that i built for her a while ago
    • im also building a P133 file server which is going to be pasively cooled and will be sitting in my dresser drawer (its already built and has been tested, just doesnt have a hard drive yet. It is also going to have linux on it
    • Last is my Playstation 2

so that is 5 devices i gotta connect. Now im thinking ill most likely buy a Hub, probably 8 port. But i was wondering, I already have 2 network cards for the server computer, so can I use that to attach my cable modem too through one network card, and the other network card will plug into my WAN port on the router? would that work? or is the WAN only for modems?

here is a diagram to show what i mean...

Image Resized
    Image Resized
    <a href=&#39;
    https://filesharingtalk.com/sigs/netw...twork.JPG&#39; target=&#39;image&#39;>Image Resized
    [img]https://filesharingtalk.com/sigs/networkconfigwoulditwork.JPG' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'></a>

so do you think that would work? its just for now until i get a hub anyway. the point to this post is just to find out if it could work.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    IMO i think you should get the LAN Party. Have the 3 main pc&#39;s going through the router and connect the LAN Party through the last port and have the ps2 and any additional devices go into the LAN Party. Dont have to worry bout drives or downtime or nothin.
    Need a cheap/easy way of modding your xbox? Check this out.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@1 April 2004 - 04:30
    Hey guys,

Well i just realized that ive got 2 new pcs going to be added to my network soon, and ive already got 3 devices on my network with a 4 port router

These are my devices:
    • My old computer
    • im also building a P133 file server which is going to be pasively cooled and will be sitting in my dresser drawer (its already built and has been tested, just doesnt have a hard drive yet. It is also going to have linux on it

so that is 5 devices i gotta connect. Now im thinking ill most likely buy a Hub, probably 8 port. But i was wondering, I already have 2 network cards for the server computer, so can I use that to attach my cable modem too through one network card, and the other network card will plug into my WAN port on the router? would that work? or is the WAN only for modems?

Image Resized
    Image Resized
    <a href=&#39;
    https://filesharingtalk.com/sigs/netw...twork.JPG&#39; target=&#39;image&#39;>Image Resized
    Image Resized
    [img]https://filesharingtalk.com/sigs/networkconfigwoulditwork.JPG' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'></a>

so do you think that would work? its just for now until i get a hub anyway. the point to this post is just to find out if it could work.
    That won&#39;t work, you would need routing on the server, etc, etc. You could get it to work but it would be far more trouble than it is worth, the server would be a bottleneck, and internet access would be down if the server was off.

Just get a hub (or a switch) and plug it into one of the ports on the router. If you get a switch, plug ALL your comps into the switch for a smoother network, although it probably won&#39;t make much difference for a home network.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by lynx+1 April 2004 - 05:33--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (lynx @ 1 April 2004 - 05:33)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ROSSCO_2004@1 April 2004 - 04:30
    Hey guys,

Well i just realized that ive got 2 new pcs going to be added to my network soon, and ive already got 3 devices on my network with a 4 port router&nbsp;

These are my devices:
    • My old computer

Image Resized
    Image Resized
    <a href=&#39;
    Image Resized
    <a href=&#39;
    [img]https://filesharingtalk.com/sigs/networkconfigwoulditwork.JPG' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'></a></a>

That won&#39;t work, you would need routing on the server, etc, etc. You could get it to work but it would be far more trouble than it is worth, the server would be a bottleneck, and internet access would be down if the server was off.

Just get a hub (or a switch) and plug it into one of the ports on the router. If you get a switch, plug ALL your comps into the switch for a smoother network, although it probably won&#39;t make much difference for a home network. [/b][/quote]
    alright thanx, i think I will just get a hub. my dad said he will buy me it along with my new case and fans and crap so...

is this hub good?
    i want another dlink because it will match my router

oh and i cant have all devices connected to the hub because im thinking of setting up my playstatioin 2 and computer in my basement when im done my room down there and to have the 3 computers in my current room. so ill just have to run 1 wire downstairs and i can connect pc and ps2 to the hub instead of running 2 wires down. sounds good? (dont say to get new nic cards in this computer and plug ps2 directly into it because i like to play when i wake up and i cant stand the sound of my computer in the morning lol)

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    why spend that much, when this will work just aswell at half the price

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    it is like lynx said, it will not work, well you could get it to work, put that server would in essance become a proxy server and an internet sharing computer. Too much work involved with that. Just get you a hub or a switch

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    lynx's Avatar .
    From what you&#39;ve said I think you would want to keep your existing router where it is and run a single line down to your basement. Then put your new hub/switch in your basement.

Alternatively, where is your main cable access point? If it is nearer the basement it might be easier to run two cables into your basement, one from your cable access point to your router (which you would reposition in the basement), the other coming back from the router to join to the one that currently goes to your room. You would need one of these to join the cables. You would put the switch where your router is at present.

That may be better than running a cable from your room to the basement.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by lynx@1 April 2004 - 12:33
    From what you&#39;ve said I think you would want to keep your existing router where it is and run a single line down to your basement. Then put your new hub/switch in your basement.

Alternatively, where is your main cable access point? If it is nearer the basement it might be easier to run two cables into your basement, one from your cable access point to your router (which you would reposition in the basement), the other coming back from the router to join to the one that currently goes to your room. You would need one of these to join the cables. You would put the switch where your router is at present.

That may be better than running a cable from your room to the basement.
    I dont really understand what you mean...the link you gave says this product is unavailable&#092;discontinued

well, right now I have my cable modem and router in my room. The cable modem and router are both in my tv stand thingy and the PS2 is also over their. then i have 1 cable going through the wall behind my tv stand into my sisters room where my old computer is currently, and i have 1 cable going to teh other side of my room to my good computer.

This is what I am going to do...

my new computer is going to be in my basement, along with my PS2 and the hub im going to get. Upstairs in my old room I will have the cable modem, router, old computer, p3 computer and p133 computer (which will probably be in some sort of drawer or maybe i will find it a case )

ill run one wire downstairs from a port on the router to the Hub&#092;switch in my basement. then i will have 2 wires from that to my ps2 and pc. and that also leaves for a future expansion of 3 computers

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    lynx's Avatar .
    Strange, I copied the link from the Ebuyer US site (I couldn&#39;t find the equivalent on tigerdirect) but when you try it the link goes to the UK site.

Try quick find code 6547 on ebuyer&#39;s US site and you will see what I meant. But it doesn&#39;t sound like you are going to need it anyway.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by lynx@1 April 2004 - 23:39
    Strange, I copied the link from the Ebuyer US site (I couldn&#39;t find the equivalent on tigerdirect) but when you try it the link goes to the UK site.

Try quick find code 6547 on ebuyer&#39;s US site and you will see what I meant. But it doesn&#39;t sound like you are going to need it anyway.
    I still can&#39;t find it oh well.