Thread: Wireless Router

hi,

i have just bough i wireless router. i connected the router to my p.c. using the ethernet cable. however, when i come to connect my modem. i find i have only two sockets on the adsl modem. one is connecting the modem to the phone line and the other is a usb connection to the p.c

do i need a router with a usb connection? is there a way around it? should i buy a new modem?

arrrrrrrggghh

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    uhhh yea, u connect ur modem to the ur router via ethernet

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    ye sbut what i am saying is theat the modem does not connect via ethernet, it has a usb connection.

):

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    If your router is wireless how come all these cables seem to be in the picture?

Shouldn't the router be connected to the modem via Ethernet and then the PC to the router via a wireless modem?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    lynx's Avatar .
    Yes, you need a new modem.

If you had looked at your original thread a bit more you would have seen that I told you to be careful about what you bought.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    there are modem that has connection via usb only? i thought all modem have ethernet as the primary thing and usb was the luxury thing.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by Mr. Elmo@1 April 2004 - 19:18
    there are modem that has connection via usb only? i thought all modem have ethernet as the primary thing and usb was the luxury thing.
    There are probably more USB only modems than Ethernet ones (in terms of quantity sold rather than available models).

How many pc's today come without USB? Probably none.
    How many come without ethernet? Quite a few, although the number is dropping.

And in order to act as an Ethernet modem the firmware in the modem has to do a whole lot more than a USB modem where most of the work is handed off to the pc.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Originally posted by Mr. Elmo@1 April 2004 - 13:18
    USB connection isn't a luxury. Ethernet is better and more flexible.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234+1 April 2004 - 21:54--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Virtualbody1234 @ 1 April 2004 - 21:54)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Mr. Elmo@1 April 2004 - 13:18
    USB connection isn&#39;t a luxury. Ethernet is better and more flexible. [/b][/quote]
    unless you do not know how to work your pc very well (like so many people cant) and therefore find USB easier

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234+1 April 2004 - 16:54--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Virtualbody1234 @ 1 April 2004 - 16:54)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Mr. Elmo@1 April 2004 - 13:18
    USB connection isn&#39;t a luxury. Ethernet is better and more flexible. [/b][/quote]
    its a luxury for people that dont know what ethernet is and dont want to know. most accessories you buy for outside your computer are USB these days so chances are most people already know how to install a USB device and dont need to learn anything new. although i do agree that ethernet is more flexible and just plain better.