Thread: Sony Handycam Video 8

Poster
    yea i have a sony hanycam and i want to put it on my harddrive so i can put it on a cd or dvd.So basically all i want to do is to put my home movies onto a cd or dvd. What programs do i need to and equipments i need to do this. Thanks in advance m fellow mates. Here are some snapshops of my camera recorder.

its a Sony 26x Handycam Video8 CCD-TR66 NTSC

images kind of blurry, but if you need more info or more photos i will provide some

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    There are many ways to do this

the easiest and cheapest way would be to just buy a video capture card. then use a dvd program to make the disk

the way i do transfers is through my DV converter. I plug the video and audio out from the camcorder into the DV box. i then plug the box into the firewire port on my computer. then you can use almost any editing program to capture the video (i use Avid but even iMovie is okay).

you get better quality with the 2nd meathod but its more expensive and it requires you to learn more.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    Originally posted by wienerschnitzel@1 April 2004 - 23:11
    There are many ways to do this

the easiest and cheapest way would be to just buy a video capture card. then use a dvd program to make the disk

the way i do transfers is through my DV converter. I plug the video and audio out from the camcorder into the DV box. i then plug the box into the firewire port on my computer. then you can use almost any editing program to capture the video (i use Avid but even iMovie is okay).

you get better quality with the 2nd meathod but its more expensive and it requires you to learn more.
    thanks for the response man!!!!!!!

but imma try the first method to start off with it. so basically theres a box that connects the camcorder to the computer and all i need is a dvd program and a videocard.

How much does a videocard cost?
    What is that Dvd program you talking about (is it like nero burning rom)?
    And do the dvd programs cost?

thanks big time again!!!!!

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    If your camera is analog only(no digital output, i.e. firewire or USB connection)
    than it's a matter of converting your analog signal(audio/video out of your camera)
    to a digital format. This is where a "video capture card" would come into play.

There are a few different types of capture devices. Some are internal(a card), some are external{connecting via firewire or USB). Just shop around. I've seen a good selection in the TigerDirect catalogs I get.(Tigerdirect.com) I'm sure other vendors offer the same variety.

Whatever you buy will come with some type of software to "record" your analog signal.

That's the crux of your endeavor. Everyone has different aptitudes and skills. Maybe some input from other forum members will be of help and using the included software may not be the best approach. 3rd party software may be more to your liking.

After figuring what software to use, consider the amount of space you'll need, Video can take up quite a lot of space. Apprx. 3-4Gb per hour of VHS-quality video, for example. More if you want DVD-like quality.

Hope that helps and keep checking back for others' software/hardware recommendations.

peace.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    Originally posted by harrycary@2 April 2004 - 01:04
    If your camera is analog only(no digital output, i.e. firewire or USB connection)
    than it's a matter of converting your analog signal(audio/video out of your camera)
    to a digital format. This is where a "video capture card" would come into play.

There are a few different types of capture devices. Some are internal(a card), some are external{connecting via firewire or USB). Just shop around. I've seen a good selection in the TigerDirect catalogs I get.(Tigerdirect.com) I'm sure other vendors offer the same variety.

Whatever you buy will come with some type of software to "record" your analog signal.

That's the crux of your endeavor. Everyone has different aptitudes and skills. Maybe some input from other forum members will be of help and using the included software may not be the best approach. 3rd party software may be more to your liking.

After figuring what software to use, consider the amount of space you'll need, Video can take up quite a lot of space. Apprx. 3-4Gb per hour of VHS-quality video, for example. More if you want DVD-like quality.

Hope that helps and keep checking back for others' software/hardware recommendations.

peace.
    Thanks Dude very informative information you gave

So you said my camcoder isnt digital i need a video capture card.ok i got dat part down. After i get the video capture card installed, i need some wires for the camcoder so it can connect to the computer right?

My last question is after i got the home movie on my harddrive, can i put the movies on a cd-r cause i dont have a dvd-burner.

oh yea thanks for the helpful information

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    with a cd-r you can create video cds. They may, or may not, be compatible with your dvd player(s).

this site is great for researching/doing just that....

dvdrhelp.com