Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cpu Overheating

I have been having trouble with my 7-month-old PC

TH-654 Athlon/p4

Fan & Heatsink - AMD SocketA Graphics/Audio/ internal IDE Cable 40w/40w IDC 2 Drive.

Athlon xp2200+ 1.80 Ghz Socket A CPU OEM 512Mb 184pin DDR PC2100 Dimm Non-Party.

Two days ago it switched itself off twice and it's started to do it again today,
    At the time the only programmes open were AOL 8 & photoshop 7.

Today I installed the MSI Mother board software that came with the PC,
    This will give me The Running Voltage & Temperatures.

The Temp of the main board is excellent way below the standard, But CPU was so high, the MSI software shut it down, the temp was 87C

I have now opened up the PC and put a cold fan near the CPU Fan, So to cool it down a bit, But still running 70C

The fan speed is normal; there is no blockage on the fan or heatsink at all.

My gess is that this has been like this for some time, probably from the factory, and my guess would be that there is no thermal paste in between the CPU & the heat sink,
    Can someone tell me if I am correct or would it be something else?
    Thank you in advance
    The idiosyncratic syntax of riddles interests me

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    Go into bios setup and check the temps in there. If they are the same you've got a serious overheating problem.

Put your finger on the heatsink. Careful, if it really is that hot you might burn yourself.

If the heatsink isn't too hot you could be right about the thermal compound. If everything else looks ok (no fluff between the vanes of the heatsink, fan clean) then the only way to find out is to remove the heatsink.

Of course, you will then need some thermal compound anyway.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    does the fan on ur hsf work? have u check to see if u need to reapply osme thermal compound?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    RGX's Avatar Unstoppable
    Thermal compund makes a difference to the temps but not this drastic. I would be more inclined to say that the heatsink may have slipped and is not making proper contact with the chip. Have you tried re-installing it? Thermal compound would only cause this sort of problem if it was incredibly thick.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    thank you for your help on this one I am now using my Laptop untill PC Sorted.

The fan is ok & clean Running @ 3800

Heatsink is also clean from dust etc.

Test run, PC was 75C on running, Shut down & felt the Heatsink and it's cool,
    So abviously there is no Thermal compund been aplied from new.

Very Due to it should have tested before i was sent to me, I was told that it had a 48Hr Test before ship.

It's still under warenty so i am not going to pull it about, I think i will demand a new Processor as mine now will have a short life.
    It's seven months old and it's been running hot all this time,
    Wish i had of installed the Motherboard temp software when i first got the PC,
    then i would have known about this problem before now.

Thank you for your help

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    RGX's Avatar Unstoppable
    This still should not have happened IMO. My 2200 is running now with no thermal compound on the stock HSF at 41.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Wait a minute.

If the PC has been running at this extreme temp for 7 months, how come it only now decided to start shutting itself down?

Have you looked at what BIOS has to say yet?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    hi ya clocker, I just had a look in the BIOS and it's the same reading.

checked running processes all ok.

thanks

Baz

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by RGX@3 April 2004 - 17:14
    This still should not have happened IMO. My 2200 is running now with no thermal compound on the stock HSF at 41.
    ur kidding. i thought that with no thermal compound ur chip would fry.

actually i know it would fry because i fried a 2000+ that way

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Poster
    Originally posted by RGX@3 April 2004 - 22:14
    Surely you've at least got a thermal pad right?
    I wasn't going to buy it in the first place, so me downloading it for free isn't losing them any money.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast