Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Peerguardian Alternatives?

Having recently decided that I'm not 100% sold on PeerGuardian, I set out to find other ways to protect myself from the RIAA and found the following:

1. A program called Secure Filesharing 6 by Steganos

2. A whole new network called MUTE which is briefly mentioned on Zeropaid that claims to feature security from the RIAA.

3. Another not-so-new network called Filetopia that also claims high security.

Anybody have any experiences, knowledge or opinion on any of the above? Any others?

Thank you for your time and knowledge!

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    I haven't even heard of those.

Have you seen Protowall? Peerguardian's superior. Works very well, and light.

The Blocklists Manager helps a lot too.

-- Xero Grid --
    <span style='color:green'>Supertrick XG Forums</span> | Supertrick XG - Your solution to ads, pop-ups, malicious code, and the rest of the garbage just floating around the web.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Originally posted by Darkhawk@3 April 2004 - 20:40
    Having recently decided that I&#39;m not 100% sold on PeerGuardian, I set out to find other ways to protect myself from the RIAA and found the following:

2. A whole new network called MUTE which is briefly mentioned on Zeropaid that claims to feature security from the RIAA.

3. Another not-so-new network called Filetopia that also claims high security.

Anybody have any experiences, knowledge or opinion on any of the above? Any others?

Thank you for your time and knowledge&#33;
    1. Not tried yet

2. Very secure, but still in its early stages, have tried and tested, it will conceal you IP through neiboughs.

3. Encrypted network intended to hide data transfers from your ISP, though to my knowledge does not mask your IP unless your using the bouncer that is set in options.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    UcanRock2's Avatar Phantom Gander
    Originally posted by Darkhawk@4 April 2004 - 04:40
    I tried the Internet Annoym 6 by Steganos

It brought my web surfing to a almost complete halt...not sure what it would do for filesharing.

Not sure how it will be on downloading of files.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Originally posted by Xero Grid@4 April 2004 - 07:29
    Have you seen Protowall? Peerguardian&#39;s superior. Works very well, and light.

The Blocklists Manager helps a lot too.

-- Xero Grid --
    PW does, in fact, look like a far superior alternative to PG. However, my problem with PG was with the fact that, when new undesirable IP&#39;s rear thier ugly heads, there is at least a short period of time between the first scan to detection to entry into "black lists" in which scans can be done freely from an IP by the RIAA (I hope you follow me up to this point ). Am I correct?

What I&#39;m looking for is as close to zero vulnerability as possible.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Originally posted by Darkhawk@4 April 2004 - 05:40
    Tried this one this morning. Upon installation, the software transfers all of your shared files to a "pseudo-partition" called a File Safe encrypting the files in the process. I used that weird term because the partition only shows when you open the File Safe and allow the files to be shared. It allows this partition to be up to 32 Gb on WinXP (much less on earlier Windows versions). Unless you have an absolute monster drive you will probably have to watch your available space constantly.

That&#39;s about all I know at this point as the installation did *not* go well. Unfortunately, I don&#39;t recall why the installation was interrupted the first time (still not awake, I guess) but on the second try I got a stop error. After the third try, everything seemed peachy until I noticed that all my file sharing programs weren&#39;t detected. When I tried to get them all in, it said I didn&#39;t have enough drive space, which just didn&#39;t seem possible.

I figure that I have either configged the software incorrectly or the interupts during the installation (which, unless by design, never *helps* a software installation) caused problems... so to rule out the latter, I&#39;m doing an u/r.

I&#39;ll letcha know .

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    I know what ya mean.

Well, if you use, Protowall with constatly updated merged blocklists, along with other simple security measures, like simple system tweaking for example, or hardware such as a router, can help. If you use the correct P2P apps, all the better. Like if you use K-Lite, and have the users can&#39;t view your files option enabled, and they only find one file on your system, they&#39;re not gonna bother you.

Do you realize the chances of them catching you, anyway? It&#39;s in fact, near nothing. They only went after people sharing an abnormal amount of stuff they considered illegal. Like the girl who was sharing 1,000,000 files... and what was she using? *drum rolls* That&#39;s right, the original KaZaa.

-- Xero Grid --
    <span style='color:green'>Supertrick XG Forums</span> | Supertrick XG - Your solution to ads, pop-ups, malicious code, and the rest of the garbage just floating around the web.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Originally posted by Xero Grid@5 April 2004 - 18:47
    I know what ya mean.

Well, if you use, Protowall with constatly updated merged blocklists, along with other simple security measures, like simple system tweaking for example, or hardware such as a router, can help. If you use the correct P2P apps, all the better. Like if you use K-Lite, and have the users can&#39;t view your files option enabled, and they only find one file on your system, they&#39;re not gonna bother you.

Do you realize the chances of them catching you, anyway? It&#39;s in fact, near nothing. They only went after people sharing an abnormal amount of stuff they considered illegal. Like the girl who was sharing 1,000,000 files... and what was she using? *drum rolls* That&#39;s right, the original KaZaa.

-- Xero Grid --
    You know, a web site with a step-by-step for all the stuff you mention would help someone like me a lot. If you or anybody else can fling a few URL&#39;s my way... Thanks&#33; Of course, I&#39;ll do some Googling between now and then .

I did find a good deal on a router and have one on the way. I was kinda hoping having the router would be secure enough to drop ZoneAlarm and free up some resources. I&#39;ve tried other PFW&#39;s that used less resources but the documentation was always too vague for me to have much confidence in them. Any thoughts?

Also, I was aware of the chances of getting caught and, in fact, I&#39;ve never been one to keep a lot of mp3 files on my HD at one time anyway. My concern is in that I&#39;m one of those folks who loses a coin flip about 90% of the time , so I just can&#39;t feel very comfortable with the odds regardless of how astronomical they may be.

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    n00b
    tried downloading Protowall but got an error "not a valid win 32 app", sounds good though, i just wish i could get it to work.
    <span style='color:red'><span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'><span style='font-family:Impact'>SCREW THE ADS</span></span></span>
    Get a real sig, don&#39;t be a sell-out...

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    you guys got it all wrong you have to come on over to canada

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast