Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: A New Supertrick Installer

Entry removed. Thanx.
    BTW, I want to release a new version soon. I have some new features in mind that will make your internet life that much easier.

-- Xero Grid --
    <span style='color:green'>Supertrick XG Forums</span> | Supertrick XG - Your solution to ads, pop-ups, malicious code, and the rest of the garbage just floating around the web.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #72
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    hey i just installed that supertrick thing again, ive had it before but cant remember what was wrong that i uninstalled so i installed again, then decided to find that rogers speed test to see if its any slower, and i typed in www.rogers.com, then it went to my download folder (D:&#092;download folder). its the wierdest thing, thats the onnly site that does that, is this a problem inn the hosts file? can you tell me how to fix it?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #73
    That doesn&#39;t happen to me, so it&#39;s not the installer.
    It could be something else that edited the HOSTS file to create a redirection. It doesn&#39;t sound too likely, but it&#39;s my best guess. I would suggest running HijackThis to be sure. It&#39;ll detect any HOSTS file redirections.

If you had selected to clear the HOSTS file before installation, there wouldn&#39;t be any redirections, but then again, I don&#39;t know exactly what could be casuing that..

-- Xero Grid --
    <span style='color:green'>Supertrick XG Forums</span> | Supertrick XG - Your solution to ads, pop-ups, malicious code, and the rest of the garbage just floating around the web.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #74
    erRor67's Avatar Lord Of Everything
    Open the HOSTS file in notepad and see if any of them redirect to unwanted sites. Manly non-127.0.0.1 entries if all you use the HOSTS file is for blocking sites.

it would be a cool option if you had included an updater that updated the hosts file from a located on the web. Sort of like updating the badip files for Kazaa Lite.
    blah blah blah... whatever...

5. Software & Hardware   -   #75
    Well, I could post a downloadable text file online and people can use the HOSTSTool to update the HOSTS file, but what about the entries that block legit sites? They would stay in the HOSTS file. Or the other features such as adding malicious sites to the restricted sites zone. I would have to make downloadable registry patches, but any changes that the installer didn&#39;t make, the uninstaller can&#39;t unmake, so it might make it more difficult for the user.

I would also have to make a registry patch for the features I&#39;m coming up with in the next version. Blacklisting known spyware ActiveX controls and spyware cookies&#33; I was surprised how simple it was when I found out.

BTW, does anyone know how I can silently edit a text file?
    I have another feature in mind that would require appending an already existing .txt file. Help would be appreciated.

-- Xero Grid --

6. Software & Hardware   -   #76
    300 downloads this month B)

200 downloads last month B)

Keep up the good work &#33;

7. Software & Hardware   -   #77
    Version 1.4 is out. Lot&#39;s of nice changes.

I will be posting another download link soon. I just have to work something out.

I set up an e-mail account for the project and completely revamped the project page. I moved many entries to the base HOSTS file even though I wanted to keep it as lean as possible to prevent conflicts with legit sites, so if anyone has a problem with the entries, post it.

Enjoy, and peace.

--EDIT--
    Last download link posted. I really thank everyone who helps me out. I know bandwidth is precious.

Hey, this topic has reached over 1,000 views.

-- Xero Grid --

8. Software & Hardware   -   #78
    Not sure if it was just my imagination but the installation seemed to go a lot faster that time. One thing though, the installation did not STOP the DNS Client service, it only disabled it. So you might want to add a "Please restart to complete installation" or make the installation run the net stop command.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #79
    Well, I was thinking about having a restart after installation, but I thought ti would be too annoying to restart every time and it&#39;s only system services that don&#39;t have an immediate effect.
    Hmm... maybe I can just add a note after installation saying that not all changes will take place until the next reboot. I did that in early test versions I made, but took it off thinking it wasn&#39;t too relavant. I am going to have to think this over again but what does everyone else think?

-- Xero Grid --

10. Software & Hardware   -   #80
    Can you not just have the installation run net stop "dns client" at the end? That will stop service without having to restart.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast