Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: My Comp Is Getting Slower And Slower

Originally posted by dray_02+6 April 2004 - 06:41--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (dray_02 &#064; 6 April 2004 - 06:41)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-atiVidia@6 April 2004 - 17:21
    i didnt waste my time reading thru the posts.

dray, uve got 512 megs of ram rite? get a tweaking utility (its far easier thaen hacking the registry urself) and search for an option that les u force the entire windows core onto the ram. it cut down my boot times by 2/3
    ne idea at what kinda name this utility would be called?[/b][/quote]
    As i&#39;ve already said, the problem is that you have 0.6% of free space on your hard drive, and haven&#39;t defragged for weeks.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #32
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004+6 April 2004 - 13:04--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ROSSCO_2004 &#064; 6 April 2004 - 13:04)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by Chewie UK@6 April 2004 - 03:48
    Blimey, do I sound pissed off at you? I&#39;m not pissed off, I&#39;m just stunned.

The reason I rarely recommend reinstalling an OS is because it&#39;s so fucking unnecessary.
    It&#39;s like a guy asking his mate at the pub why his car has a misfire and being told to get another engine. Sure, it&#39;ll cure the problem, but just changing the spark plugs could&#39;ve done that.
    The Hardwareworld and Softwareworld forums are about helping people with problems, so why recommend reinstalling because it&#39;s easier than figuring out each problem? C&#39;mon, we all know you&#39;re not a klutz, Rossco.
    Re-installing WinXP may be easy but it ain&#39;t exactly quick; the SP1a download is about 125MB, not 30MB, and then you can add to that the SP2 updates, non-critical updates & drivers. You&#39;ve got to install all games and applications, configure your firewall, email & other apps, disable services, not to mention change your desktop & folder settings to the way you like them.
    It&#39;s using a sledgehammer to crack a walnut.

If it seems like I post my &#39;Reinstall OS? You&#39;re joking&#39; comment too much it&#39;s because that&#39;s so often being recommended where it&#39;s not necessary.
    Alright i see your point...[/b]
    Sorry if I&#39;m resurrecting a dead thread but I just re-read my post and it does sound like I&#39;m pissed at you, which I&#39;m not.
    <!--QuoteBegin-ROSSCO_2004
    @6 April 2004 - 13:04

oh and at teh comment about sp1a being 125mb, the full download (called net install i think) is 125mb, if you just use express setup its around 30mb so i recomended that to dray because he didnt want to download much.
    [/quote]I haven&#39;t bothered with anything other than the full download - saved to a CD during a period when I was having a corruption problem. I&#39;d like to do that with IE6 but I&#39;ve never managed to get everything and the setup&#39;s always had to download some shit or other.
    See, I told you that you aren&#39;t a klutz.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

3. Software & Hardware   -   #33
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by Chewie UK+8 April 2004 - 19:06--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Chewie UK @ 8 April 2004 - 19:06)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@6 April 2004 - 13:04
    Originally posted by Chewie UK@6 April 2004 - 03:48
    Blimey, do I sound pissed off at you? I&#39;m not pissed off, I&#39;m just stunned.

The reason I rarely recommend reinstalling an OS is because it&#39;s so fucking unnecessary.
    It&#39;s like a guy asking his mate at the pub why his car has a misfire and being told to get another engine. Sure, it&#39;ll cure the problem, but just changing the spark plugs could&#39;ve done that.
    The Hardwareworld and Softwareworld forums are about helping people with problems, so why recommend reinstalling because it&#39;s easier than figuring out each problem? C&#39;mon, we all know you&#39;re not a klutz, Rossco.
    Re-installing WinXP may be easy but it ain&#39;t exactly quick; the SP1a download is about 125MB, not 30MB, and then you can add to that the SP2 updates, non-critical updates & drivers. You&#39;ve got to install all games and applications, configure your firewall, email & other apps, disable services, not to mention change your desktop & folder settings to the way you like them.
    It&#39;s using a sledgehammer to crack a walnut.

If it seems like I post my &#39;Reinstall OS? You&#39;re joking&#39; comment too much it&#39;s because that&#39;s so often being recommended where it&#39;s not necessary.
    Alright i see your point...
    Sorry if I&#39;m resurrecting a dead thread but I just re-read my post and it does sound like I&#39;m pissed at you, which I&#39;m not.
    <!--QuoteBegin-ROSSCO_2004
    @6 April 2004 - 13:04

oh and at teh comment about sp1a being 125mb, the full download (called net install i think) is 125mb, if you just use express setup its around 30mb so i recomended that to dray because he didnt want to download much.
    I haven&#39;t bothered with anything other than the full download - saved to a CD during a period when I was having a corruption problem. I&#39;d like to do that with IE6 but I&#39;ve never managed to get everything and the setup&#39;s always had to download some shit or other.
    See, I told you that you aren&#39;t a klutz. [/b][/quote]
    ya i also did that, downloading it and saving it, but dray said he doesnt like the downloading and if he just does the express setup he&#39;ll not have to download as much.

he should have ordered that free security update cds, i got one just came yesterday, took over a month

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234