Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Comp Is Getting Slower And Slower

Poster
    hey guys,

long time no post.

well im starting to get a real slow computer...maybe its because i only have 1gb left on my useless 60gb harddrive.... or maybe its because i have a virus or sumthing...

anyway i have just ordered a Seagate 80GB 8mb cache SATA harddrive...

this is my very first SATA harddrive, and i havent had any experience in that area...

once i install it do i have to format it?

should i reinstall windows Xp on this harddrive and put everything on this and make my 60GB hDD just for movies and mp3s?

guys give me sum help as to what i shud do when the HDD arrives in a few days

thanks

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    TRy a good clean up and de frag then see how things go will help but like you say run out of space i have a spare 60 hd drives are cheap stuff a xtra one in.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    yer i defragged just a few weeks ago. it didnt really make a difference..

..i usually defrag once a month...

..also ppl with the gigabyte ga7n400 pro2..... is ther a way i can turn off that annoying shit when ya boot the computer.... u no, the stuff that sez " do you wish to blah blah blah SATA, RAI etc.... press ctrl+s ....

do you know what im talking about...

because that takes about 30seconds to load

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    Scan for spyware-viruses
    clean your temp files prefetch, internet history - use some cleaner tool
    run a registry healer-cleaner
    disable some services - http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm
    defrag

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    Do what is listed above.

I would formatt Both HDDs once you get your new one.

Install windows on the SATA one, which I believe you have to have a floppy for to make it work.

Once you install lots and lots of programs and load up the resources after a while computers will slow down a bit. A good reformat and new install of the O/S is great to fix this.
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    shi ey , get the o/s on ya sata man , use that 60 gig peice of crap for storage

no other way to fly

suggestion , start withjust the sata in your comp and install the o/s, like it was a new one

then refit the old h/d and move any files off it to the sata you wanna keep, the format the old one and put the movie ect on it

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    1) Create some space on your drive, 1 GB of free space is not enough.

2) Defragment your hard drive, once a month is not enough.

3) Read up on basic computer maintenance.

The problems you are experiencing are a direct result of a badly fragmented drive.

Good luck with that sata drive.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    yer cheerz for that, exactly what i wanted to know...

once i get the SATA ill install XP on it....

im assuming that it will become the master HDD automatically? or will i have to move sum pins around or sumthing?

once i install the newly amped XP on the sata will i have to download all the updates.??? shit thats alot... or will it recognise that i have already updated on the old harddrive...

what happens when i put put HDD on? will it no that i want the SATA one as the master?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    There is a jumper on the back of your drive that you can change from master, slave, and cable select, it is usually clearly lableled on newer drives so that shouldnt be a problem.
    but also not sure if this comes with it when you buy a sata drive but you may need to get an adapter for your power supply to hook a molex into a sata connector...it may come with your drive but if not they are fairly cheap anyway, just somethin i thought of that ou may not have taken into consideration...
    Q6600 @ 3.42Ghz | Gigabyte EP35-DS3R | EVGA 8800GT 721/1802/2006 w/ Accelero S1 | 4gb Crucial DDR2 @ 760mhz | 750gb Hitachi 7k1000 | Corsair 520HX | 2 x Samsung SyncMaster T240 24" | Windows 7 Ultimate

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Poster
    yer i have the SATA cables...that came with the motherboard....

i think i have everything sorted...

i cant wait ay.... will games load up faster on the new HDD... like i sed b4, ill store all my movies and mp3s on the shitty HDD, and games, programs etc... on the new HDD...

..does that sound right? any other suggestions that i should take into consideration?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast