Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Water Cooling

Hey, with the summer coming up, I am looking into the thought of water cooling. I've been looking around and reading reviews and am starting to get some idea on the principles of it.
    My questions are:
    who here uses water cooling?
    if you do, what do you use?
    would i be better off buying a decent kit, or to costomize my own for the same amount of money?
    I live in Canada, so Canadian money or sites would be awesome
    looking for high end performance, and extremely low noise level (as low as possible anyway without giving away performance)
    Performance is first, then noise, then last is looks, but looks are always good too
    any suggestions on kits, waterblocks, radiators, anything? price range is about 250 total Canadian but am quite flexible with the price
    thanks folks
    Q6600 @ 3.42Ghz | Gigabyte EP35-DS3R | EVGA 8800GT 721/1802/2006 w/ Accelero S1 | 4gb Crucial DDR2 @ 760mhz | 750gb Hitachi 7k1000 | Corsair 520HX | 2 x Samsung SyncMaster T240 24" | Windows 7 Ultimate

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by kaiweiler@5 April 2004 - 15:07
    Hey, with the summer coming up, I am looking into the thought of water cooling. I've been looking around and reading reviews and am starting to get some idea on the principles of it.
    My questions are:
    who here uses water cooling?
    if you do, what do you use?
    would i be better off buying a decent kit, or to costomize my own for the same amount of money?
    I live in Canada, so Canadian money or sites would be awesome
    looking for high end performance, and extremely low noise level (as low as possible anyway without giving away performance)
    Performance is first, then noise, then last is looks, but looks are always good too
    any suggestions on kits, waterblocks, radiators, anything? price range is about 250 total Canadian but am quite flexible with the price
    thanks folks
    for the water block there is a good one by Zalman got good reviews but i cant remember the model number sorry so no links.

for the rad if you want really good performance use a car radiator, you can get one for cheap or free from a junkyard then wash and paint it. then find a big fan to use to cool the rad.

im not sure about kits but I hear most of them dont even come close to the performance youll get from a self made one.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    lynx's Avatar .
    I've just got a waterblock and pump by asetek (this page doesn't work in Firefox ). Build quality is very good but the documentation leaves a little to be desired, but that's no problem as long as you've got a little common sense. I didn't bother with a control unit since I leave it on 24/7, and even I can manage to flick a switch once in a while.

I've gone for the 10mm fittings because they are interchangeable with standard 10mm central heating fittings. This allows me the option of all sorts of standard bends, tees and connectors. I've been testing it for leaks this weekend and hopefully will be installing it tomorrow.

Asetek's standard tubing is needed to connect to the waterblock, but I've also used some 8mm ID tubing (1mm wall thickness gives 10mm OD) which is a lot more flexible than asetek's standard tubing but is an absolute swine to fit into the compression joints. I found the easiest way to do it was to put the tube in the freezer for about 30 minutes before attempting to make the joint, but this still only gives about 1 minute to make the joint.

For heat dissipation I've managed to get an old draught beer cooler, which is thermostatically controlled and at the minimum temp setting enables me to get the water temp down to about 7C, although I'm not sure that I will need it that cold in practice. (I can't imagine what people do with asetek's vapochill units ). This is why I didn't bother with the control unit, I'm not sure it would handle the current and in any case you don't normally turn these things off.

So, tomorrow's the big day. If you don't hear from me you know it went wrong.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Lick My Lovepump
    Originally posted by lynx@5 April 2004 - 23:20
    I've just got a waterblock and pump by asetek (this page doesn't work in Firefox ). Build quality is very good but the documentation leaves a little to be desired, but that's no problem as long as you've got a little common sense. I didn't bother with a control unit since I leave it on 24/7, and even I can manage to flick a switch once in a while.

I've gone for the 10mm fittings because they are interchangeable with standard 10mm central heating fittings. This allows me the option of all sorts of standard bends, tees and connectors. I've been testing it for leaks this weekend and hopefully will be installing it tomorrow.

Asetek's standard tubing is needed to connect to the waterblock, but I've also used some 8mm ID tubing (1mm wall thickness gives 10mm OD) which is a lot more flexible than asetek's standard tubing but is an absolute swine to fit into the compression joints. I found the easiest way to do it was to put the tube in the freezer for about 30 minutes before attempting to make the joint, but this still only gives about 1 minute to make the joint.

For heat dissipation I've managed to get an old draught beer cooler, which is thermostatically controlled and at the minimum temp setting enables me to get the water temp down to about 7C, although I'm not sure that I will need it that cold in practice. (I can't imagine what people do with asetek's vapochill units ). This is why I didn't bother with the control unit, I'm not sure it would handle the current and in any case you don't normally turn these things off.

So, tomorrow's the big day. If you don't hear from me you know it went wrong.
    Good luck!

I'm waiting for a case mod of one of those giant Budweiser beer bottles (I think they're coin banks ) and then beer cool it.

EDIT: Forgot to close brackets

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    Originally posted by lynx@5 April 2004 - 23:20
    asetek (this page doesn't work in Firefox )
    why is that

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    instead of startin a new topic on basicly the same thing how much would it roughly cost in £ to get a decent water cooling system up and running and anyone got any good UK site for info/pricing?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by Marius24@5 April 2004 - 23:58
    instead of startin a new topic on basicly the same thing how much would it roughly cost in £ to get a decent water cooling system up and running and anyone got any good UK site for info/pricing?
    TheCoolingShop has about the lowest prices I've found for the bits I wanted. You may be able to find other manufacturers with cheaper components, but you generally get what you pay for.

Edit: I've paid about £100 for all my bits and pieces (including the central heating bits), but the beer cooler was free. You would have to add about an extra £50 for a radiator and fan, and £25 if you wanted a control unit.

edit: fixed link
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by lynx+5 April 2004 - 19:08--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (lynx @ 5 April 2004 - 19:08)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Marius24@5 April 2004 - 23:58
    TheCoolingShop has about the lowest prices I&#39;ve found for the bits I wanted. You may be able to find other manufacturers with cheaper components, but you generally get what you pay for.

Edit: I&#39;ve paid about £100 for all my bits and pieces (including the central heating bits), but the beer cooler was free. You would have to add about an extra £50 for a radiator and fan, and £25 if you wanted a control unit. [/b][/quote]
    link is messed, the linnk says http:/// lol

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004+6 April 2004 - 00:35--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ROSSCO_2004 @ 6 April 2004 - 00:35)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by lynx@5 April 2004 - 19:08
    <!--QuoteBegin-Marius24
    @5 April 2004 - 23:58

TheCoolingShop has about the lowest prices I&#39;ve found for the bits I wanted. You may be able to find other manufacturers with cheaper components, but you generally get what you pay for.

Edit: I&#39;ve paid about £100 for all my bits and pieces (including the central heating bits), but the beer cooler was free. You would have to add about an extra £50 for a radiator and fan, and £25 if you wanted a control unit.
    link is messed, the linnk says http:/// lol [/b][/quote]
    nothing google cant sort out

http://www.thecoolingshop.com/index.php

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by Marius24+5 April 2004 - 19:41--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Marius24 @ 5 April 2004 - 19:41)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@6 April 2004 - 00:35
    Originally posted by lynx@5 April 2004 - 19:08
    <!--QuoteBegin-Marius24
    @5 April 2004 - 23:58

Edit: I&#39;ve paid about £100 for all my bits and pieces (including the central heating bits), but the beer cooler was free. You would have to add about an extra £50 for a radiator and fan, and £25 if you wanted a control unit.

link is messed, the linnk says http:/// lol
    nothing google cant sort out

http://www.thecoolingshop.com/index.php [/b][/quote]
    good site.

i want one of these...

...just gotta find it in canada.

and might get a heatpipe for vid card so i wont need an 80mm fan, or maybe just get some vid ram heatsyncs.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast