Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Router Is Stopping My Internet Connection

Poster
    I had the same problem with a linksys router and holding the reset button in with a pen for 60 seconds fixed it.
    AOL 9.0 Now with top speed sarcasm that is 5x funnier than normal
    dial up sarcasm complete with AOL instant stalker.

AOL 9.0 with top speed and AOL instant stalker...more expensive than saffron but worth it!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    my old router (two-port) and my new one (four-port) are both Siemens Speedstream models. the old one would connect and work just fine for a few hours, then eventually crap out with lots of lag and packet loss so online games became unplayable and DL speeds got incredibly slow... until i turned the router off and turned it back on again. i only gave Siemens another chance because the four-port model was so cheap (about $30-$40 USD after a rebate), and the four-port model has worked perfectly for more than a year and it never needs to be rebooted.

packet loss and disconnects are pretty common problems that can result from a whole variety of things: a bug in the router firmware, a design flaw in the router hardware, the router overheating, specific router models not getting along well with certain modems or ethernet cards, something about the way your ISP treats streaming traffic (p2p and games; as opposed to burst traffic like DL-ing email and webpages), or even games/programs being configured to use more upload bandwidth than the router can handle. like Rossco said, there are quite a few possible explanations for why a router-controlled internet connection might get screwed up.

before you start looking into all these other possibilities... this is kind of an easy mistake that people make, so it's worth asking about: in your router's config page, do you have it set to keep a permanent lease on the internet connection? if not, it may be set to automatically disconnect after a certain time period.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    it is probably a heat problem, put a fan by it to help cool it off. I modified mine and added some fans in it. Been up for a year without a reboot on the router.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    I have the exact same problem with my ebyer make router, got it band new about 3 weeks ago, suddenly 2 weeks ago it started doing the same as what abu's is doing bare annoying.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by 3RA1N1AC@6 April 2004 - 02:22
    before you start looking into all these other possibilities... this is kind of an easy mistake that people make, so it's worth asking about: in your router's config page, do you have it set to keep a permanent lease on the internet connection? if not, it may be set to automatically disconnect after a certain time period.
    oh yeah completely forgot about that, when i got my router it would stay connected for about half an hour then just stop working and after selecting that it worked perfectly, although that doesnt really explain why yours worked for a few months and now suddenly stopped working...

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    i got this from their tech support guy

procedd to the Miscellaneous section. Click the Disable checkbox next to the
    "Allow Ping from WAN side" feature. Click the Save button. Click the Reboot button. Log out of the router. Ensure the router is well
    ventilated. Test the router. If the problem persists, call our support line for a warranty replacement.
    (lol, they can't spell proceed. lol)

and i'm trying that. let's see if it works

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Originally posted by abu_has_the_power@6 April 2004 - 21:29
    i got this from their tech support guy

procedd to the Miscellaneous section. Click the Disable checkbox next to the
    "Allow Ping from WAN side" feature. Click the Save button. Click the Reboot button. Log out of the router. Ensure the router is well
    ventilated. Test the router. If the problem persists, call our support line for a warranty replacement.
    (lol, they can't spell proceed. lol)

and i'm trying that. let's see if it works
    Tell me if it dies and forward da email because it will proberly be the same for my one please

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    it's weird. when i have bt running, it still disconnects. after a while, it fucks up. as soon as i cancel bt, it's ok again. wtf?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by abu_has_the_power@6 April 2004 - 18:41
    it's weird. when i have bt running, it still disconnects. after a while, it fucks up. as soon as i cancel bt, it's ok again. wtf?
    Are you sure you have got all of the ports opened that you need to have opened?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    i just noticed they changed my title. lol. that was funnier. lol

anyways, now it seems to be working again, but i'll see what happens. i messed around a little, and it seems to work ok now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12