Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Workplace Nightmare

sArA's Avatar Ex-Moderatererer
    Hi people,

Well, I guess it had to come to this, I have not been happy at work pretty much since I started 7 months ago. Anyway, had an appraisal last week and never in my whole life have I seen such a complete slag off. I am involving the union, personnel, the director and anyone who may be able to help with suggestions.

Basically, my boss has a long running reputation for fucking up people. She (yep a woman) has directly or indirectly caused 3 secretaries to leave (1 had a nervous breakdown) and 4 researchers. She belittles, patronises and talks down to everyone. Anyway, I was dumped in an office on my own and told to get on with work I have never done before in a field I have never worked in before. I have consistently tried to improve things and have brought things up at team meetings about the lack of support to no avail.

Now I find I have a battle on my hands, she wants rid of me but fortunately for me she took her eye off the ball and I passed my probation period so now it is harder for her. However, I am being set up for a fall with unrealistic targets and constant 'reminders' of my obligations to the project. Apparently it could take her a year to get rid of me through disciplinary procedures but that could damage my career.

So is there anyone with union or employment law experience or just some ideas to alleviate the situation whilst protecting my need to pay the mortgage?

2. Lounge   -   #2
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    All I can suggest Sarah is keep your head down and do everything legal(workwise) that you are asked to do. Keep a copy of all dubious e-mails and replies. If you are asked to do anything dubious ask a senior colleague for their advice and log it.

I have came up against people like this before. Right will win in the end. Someone is taking notice, they are just waiting their chance to fire her.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Yes i agree, you have to keep working to the best of your abilities. They can not ask more of you than that. Maybe go to her and say the things she is asking you to do are unrealistic and that you are trying your best but if she keeps demanding more of you then you will have to see your union rep, this may show her that your ARE willing to do the work BUT NOT willing to be pushed around by her.

Good luck and i hope things work out.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Welcome to the Real World.

Sucks don't it?

5. Lounge   -   #5
    sArA's Avatar Ex-Moderatererer
    I only wish it was so simple but it has already gone further. I see personnel on Thursday for the 2nd time, and my boss has offered a way to 'show my ability by the quality of my work' by giving me a project that is going to be a real struggle to complete on time. I have a choice whether to accept her proposal, if I don't I am fucked and if I do I am gonna really struggle, either way, this aint gonna be fun

6. Lounge   -   #6
    brenda's Avatar Reborn again BT Rep: +3
    if you are in a union you have a legal right to have a union representative present at any kind of disciplinary meeting or any meeting that you instifgate with your superiors regarding your mistreatment. Don't let them wrangle you into a corner and stand your ground

what is it with female bosses that they alway have to throw their weight around?
    This fate is worse than death. Condemned to live out existence in a vessel incapable of sustaining my true glory. How am I to function with such limitation? - Illyria

7. Lounge   -   #7
    bujub22's Avatar THE GREAT
    if your in a union you don't have to take her shit no matter how respected she is in the company ,either get the union involded or sue for discrimination .

yes u can get her for that !

i sued a nursing home for that flukkers
    and the police but they won the war i won the battle??

8. Lounge   -   #8
    I was in a similar situation about 8 years ago.

Like you, I tried to make things work and did the best I could but things never improved.

After 2 years of being miserable, I quit and found another job. It was the best decision I ever made.

Life is too short. Start looking now.

9. Lounge   -   #9
    i hate to tell you this but life is a struggle , instead of whining about the workload, just get it done , we all live with presure and expectations to perform at work , if it takes you a few extra hours a wek to get your work done the fine, thats whats called devotion to duty

timeframe and due dates are all important , if you realy feel you cant perform at the level required, then i sugest you leave for your own sake and get an easier job

What you have to undestand is this company doesnt owe you a job , they dont have to keep you, you must show them you are worthy of keeping

p.s work is not fun all the time , or even most of the time

my 2 cents

( this may sem harsh but its life, jobs are not easy to come by, i would do anything in my power to ensure i ketp it )

10. Lounge   -   #10
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by delphin460@6 April 2004 - 19:57
    i hate to tell you this but life is a struggle , instead of whining about the workload, just get it done , we all live with presure and expectations to perform at work , if it takes you a few extra hours a wek to get your work done the fine, thats whats called devotion to duty

timeframe and due dates are all important , if you realy feel you cant perform at the level required, then i sugest you leave for your own sake and get an easier job

What you have to undestand is this company doesnt owe you a job , they dont have to keep you, you must show them you are worthy of keeping

p.s  work is not fun all the time , or even most of the time

my 2 cents

( this may sem harsh but its life, jobs are not easy to come by, i would do anything in my power to ensure i ketp it )
    Well said.

Excellent reply

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast