Thread: Free Disk Space

ok, yesterday, i only had 15% free disk space left on my hard drive. so i put music files on cd and then deleted them from the computer. i got up to 24% free space. i was pleased.

well, today I turn on my computer and now i have 32% free space! how did I get so much free space overnight?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    there is nothing like a restart to get free disk space. Probably what happend is when you restarted it just did a refresh of your hard drive, you could try deleting all your temp files to get more free space. Do a disk cleanup and you will see, also resize the amount of space allocated to your recycle bin and internet explorer temp files.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    my temp files dont take up much space. not even 1%. i do a disk clean-up regularly.

how do i change the space allocated for the recycle bin? and what does it do?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    You can right-click on the recycle bin and select properties. Basically... it just controls the maximum amount of crap it can store. Less space, less crap, but if a file is too big, it'll ask you if you want to delete it directly instead of moving it to the trash.

If you really want to clean up disk space, Window Washer is a great program. Or... you can just turn off system restore and save yourself several gigs. Well, if you're running XP, that is. Turn it off, restart and turn it on if you like.

Personally, I don't like system restore.... It's all personal preference, but it's caused me nothing but trouble.

XPLite works really well, too.

-- Xero Grid --
    <span style='color:green'>Supertrick XG Forums</span> | Supertrick XG - Your solution to ads, pop-ups, malicious code, and the rest of the garbage just floating around the web.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    thanks for the suggestion.

what is the purpose of having the recycle bin only able to hold a little? I usually put things in the recycle bin and then delet then from there almost instantly.

what trouble has system restore caused you?

btw, i am pleased with 32% free space
    i used to be at like 12%

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    System Restore is a big virus problem. Not to mention that it slows down your systen significantly of course depending on hardware).

But one instance that sticks with me is when I was working on an Windows ME machine (I hate fixing ME machines), and I cleaned it of spyware. Of course system restore didn&#39;t like that and decided to copy some to the system restore files. I cleaned it again, and since they were now "protected system files" of some crap like that , I needed to reboot. After that, the system just didn&#39;t boot. explorer wouldn&#39;t load. Took a while to fix too.

Another time on another ME machine, was just shutting it down to save space, casued an even worse problem than before. Missing core system files. Would only work in safe mode... it was a long list pf problems....

On XP, it&#39;s a hell of a lot more stable, but it still bogs down my system. For someone who knows what they&#39;re doing, they don&#39;t need system restore.

-- Xero Grid --
    <span style='color:green'>Supertrick XG Forums</span> | Supertrick XG - Your solution to ads, pop-ups, malicious code, and the rest of the garbage just floating around the web.