Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Even Better News (for Me)

bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Well don Cheese. As JP says welcome to the world of parasites. Though I think he was referring to me.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

2. Lounge   -   #12
    chalice's Avatar ____________________
    Originally posted by Withcheese@8 April 2004 - 22:21
    I'm gonna be studying American Literature or English Literature, I still haven't made uo my mind which of the two I'd prefer. Perhaps a poll will help me...
    Fair play to you. I did something similar at Aberystwith a while ago.

What made you stick with lit?

3. Lounge   -   #13
    Originally posted by chalice+8 April 2004 - 22:56--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (chalice &#064; 8 April 2004 - 22:56)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Withcheese@8 April 2004 - 22:21
    I&#39;m gonna be studying American Literature or English Literature, I still haven&#39;t made uo my mind which of the two I&#39;d prefer. Perhaps a poll will help me...

What made you stick with lit? [/b][/quote]
    Go with English, Cheese. It will be a lot harder but it would be a basis for American Lit if you decide to progress on to that at a later date.

4. Lounge   -   #14
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by chalice+8 April 2004 - 21:56--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (chalice &#064; 8 April 2004 - 21:56)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Withcheese@8 April 2004 - 22:21
    I&#39;m gonna be studying American Literature or English Literature, I still haven&#39;t made uo my mind which of the two I&#39;d prefer. Perhaps a poll will help me...

What made you stick with lit? [/b][/quote]
    Literature is, by far, my strongest subject and something that I enjoy doing.

There is something very satisfying about reading a text and then spending hours taking it apart and trying to find what the author was doing, how characters are motivated and how language works in story telling.

Similar with poetry, you can read a good poem but to then look at a poem closely and see how well (or bad&#33 a poet can bring across a point or theme is as pleasureable as reading the piece.

At the moment I can&#39;t wait until I get stuck into some good books/poetry at Uni. I get my reading list real soon so I&#39;ll be sure to post it here (or in Bookworld...) to get other people&#39;s opinions.

My Favourite Poem (at the moment, subject to change...)

5. Lounge   -   #15
    I wont Cheese. B)

6. Lounge   -   #16
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by bigboab+8 April 2004 - 22:00--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bigboab @ 8 April 2004 - 22:00)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by chalice@8 April 2004 - 22:56
    <!--QuoteBegin-Withcheese
    @8 April 2004 - 22:21

What made you stick with lit?
    Go with English, Cheese. It will be a lot harder but it would be a basis for American Lit if you decide to progress on to that at a later date. [/b][/quote]
    My main reason for choosing American Literature as one of my choices was because since I was at school I have studied American texts and have always enjoyed them.

At GCSE level I read To Kill A Mockingbird, A-Levels I studied Tennessee Williams and John Steinbeck and, more recently, Truman Capote at college. So I think that American Lit might be my final choice...

Though English Lit does offer creative writing modules...does that mean I can just hand in any old thing as long as I made it up?

7. Lounge   -   #17
    chalice's Avatar ____________________
    I&#39;d say go with English as your first choice. There&#39;s no avoiding Shakespeare and Yeats and Beckett (even though two of them were Irish).

There will always be American modules. I mainly read American novels and poetry for pleasure. Burroughs and Ginsberg are incredibly fresh to this day.

8. Lounge   -   #18
    Well done Cheese, you havent been on MSN all night so i spose your out partying and throwing all your student loam money down teh drain with beer&#33; Drink up :beerchug:

9. Lounge   -   #19
    cowswithguns's Avatar Poster
    Congrats Cheese..........I don&#39;t think it matters which you choose, if it&#39;s like here, you can always major in one and do the other as a minor...lots of reading, but it seems you love it.

Good luck StudentCheese

10. Lounge   -   #20
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Way to go &#39;Cheese&#33;

Keep yer head, man&#33;
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast