Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Network Through Lan

Poster
    If i set up two computers so that one connected to the other and only one was had the connection. No router etc. Would my ISP pick up 2 IPs when they both connected and would this be a problem? I am on freeserve 512 ADSL and am wanting to set up a laptop for my sister to use the internet connection. Or would a wireless router be better/cheaper?

2. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #2
    It should give out 2 ip's. But its still a shared connection so you would only get the 512 not 2 seperate 512's.

You should pick this up if you want to go wireless for $20 after 10 dollar rebate. Or this 8-port switch for $20
    Need a cheap/easy way of modding your xbox? Check this out.

3. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #3
    for 2 comps , just get a crossconnect network cable ( not a standard cable ) and join them together with nic cards

There is no need for switches or routers for 2 comps

use the network connection wiz and sharing

it will work fine and they will never know

4. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #4
    But dont you have to keep the pc with the 2 nic's on all the time? Or atleast if you want to use the other one. That wireless router does look pretty damn tempting... to bad im savin up for a vid card.

5. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #5
    Poster
    So are you saying that if the computers that i am currently LAN 'ed with, are connected to DSL 512kb through my computer.... my ISP will not know?

will i get charge if we all connect and download shit?? Im only on a single connection plan..(i think lol)

6. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #6
    um , the answer is no

the only thing the isp see,s is one ip address, so it wont have a clue, the disadvantage is you have to keep the main comp on 24/7 but who turns their comps off these days if you are on broadband anyway

all you other conps are connected through the lan , and have ip addresses like 192.168 ect, and can not be see from the outside

if you on the otherhand connect with a router the isp does see all the ip addresses you use for each comp

edit

you can run a switch from the output of the main comp, to connect all the other comps, and it will all just be on the lan, not seen by the outside, if you do this you use normal network cables ( not crossconnect )

Crossconnect is for use with only 2 comps connected directly together via nic

7. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #7
    Your ISP should know you have the second one, but they will not charge you. I am on a single line and I have my connection split 4 ways (1 is ps2/xbox) and each of them have a diff ip.

8. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #8
    the above is incorrect , if you are connected internaly , they can not see anything but the main ip of the main comp

9. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #9
    I was talking about using a router/hub/switch

10. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #10
    Poster
    Originally posted by delphin460@10 April 2004 - 06:18
    the above is incorrect , if you are connected internaly , they can not see anything but the main ip of the main comp
    so if i hook my sisters laptop to my computer through a wireless lan connection we can both use the internet at the same time with 2 internal IPs but only 1 IP seen by my ISP?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast