Thread: 64bit Pc

As many of you know im going to be building my 64bit pc this summer time, iv had a little look around and iv got a few parts in m head of what i want.
    Still undecided is the RAM, CASE and MOBO and ofcourse any parts you think would be better than what i have choose. This is what im thinking of getting:

For the RAM im unsure weather to get 1 stick of 512mb of something really good like Samsung, or Kingston PC3200 Ram, or maybe get two sticks of slower 512mb RAM. Price is very important so could someone link me up with a cost effective solution to my RAM problem.

Case needs to have side window, support my choosen motherboard or one that you have choose, must be no more than £35 including VAT. Must have lots of bays, look pritty good, PSU is undecided because i have a 400WATT one in this pc so if i only get a 300WATT one with the case i will spaw them over.

Motherboard must be 64bit, have onboard high speed lan, USB 2.0, 1 X AGP Slot, at least 4 X PCI, would need to take up to about 1.5-2GB RAM, i would like more than 2 slots for RAM but whatever. Onboard sound must be included. Onboard graphics is not nessacery, if it comes with shit on board graphics i don't care.

Please i know your going to say wait for PCI-Express but i think they are going to be to much money and they will force AGP prices to fall so that price for my Graphics card will proberly fall.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    atiVidia's Avatar ^would've been cool.
    first of all: if u want fast 512, get two 256 of the exact same kind, at the speed u mentioned. dual-channel beats single channel by alot!

or u can get 2 512 sticks of the fast speed u mentioned. but if u want performance, u must have 2 of the same stick. visit lamseys RAM guide.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    isnt pci express, btx, all that stuff coming out soon?

id wait until btx is out (which your already pretty much doing since your waiting till summer) and get a motherboard and case that are btx. the motherboard should also be pci express, and get a pci express graphics card...

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Originally posted by atiVidia@9 April 2004 - 15:09
    first of all: if u want fast 512, get two 256 of the exact same kind, at the speed u mentioned. dual-channel beats single channel by alot!

or u can get 2 512 sticks of the fast speed u mentioned. but if u want performance, u must have 2 of the same stick. visit lamseys RAM guide.
    I already have 1 stick of 256mb PC2700 but thats not cutting it as fast now a days plus they need to be the same, buying 2X 512mb ram is out of the question due to price unless i brought PC2100 which i don't think will be the best option, so you reccomend 2X 256mb PC3200 as what i should get?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    read the very last part of his post rossco
    but i have to say, i agree with you
    Q6600 @ 3.42Ghz | Gigabyte EP35-DS3R | EVGA 8800GT 721/1802/2006 w/ Accelero S1 | 4gb Crucial DDR2 @ 760mhz | 750gb Hitachi 7k1000 | Corsair 520HX | 2 x Samsung SyncMaster T240 24" | Windows 7 Ultimate

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@9 April 2004 - 15:14
    isnt pci express, btx, all that stuff coming out soon?

id wait until btx is out (which your already pretty much doing since your waiting till summer) and get a motherboard and case that are btx. the motherboard should also be pci express, and get a pci express graphics card...
    1) I dont know what BTX is?

2) The price for a PCI express motherboard and a PCI Express card up to the standards of a 9800 pro are going to be massive, i just don't have that kinda of monye, my budget from this is about £600 MAX i would lke it for £500 if possible

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by kaiweiler@9 April 2004 - 10:16
    read the very last part of his post rossco

i just woke up and i didnt feel like reading much lol...

2) The price for a PCI express motherboard and a PCI Express card up to the standards of a 9800 pro are going to be massive, i just don't have that kinda of monye, my budget from this is about £600 MAX i would lke it for £500 if possible 
    1) BTX is a new case format theyre coming out with...the motehrboard will be a backwards design sorta speak, so the whole case is going to be backwards in a way...kinda confusing to explain, ill find you a link in a few minutes.

2) okay, i understand. i also dont have money so i know how you feel

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004+9 April 2004 - 15:28--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ROSSCO_2004 @ 9 April 2004 - 15:28)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-kaiweiler@9 April 2004 - 10:16
    read the very last part of his post rossco&nbsp;

i just woke up and i didnt feel like reading much lol...

2) The price for a PCI express motherboard and a PCI Express card up to the standards of a 9800 pro are going to be massive, i just don&#39;t have that kinda of monye, my budget from this is about £600 MAX i would lke it for £500 if possible
    1) BTX is a new case format theyre coming out with...the motehrboard will be a backwards design sorta speak, so the whole case is going to be backwards in a way...kinda confusing to explain, ill find you a link in a few minutes.

2) okay, i understand. i also dont have money so i know how you feel [/b][/quote]
    Plus a Radeon 9800 Pro is still going to last a few good years playing games and what not and its a bargin at £150 but i expect with PCI-E it will go down £25-£50.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    I think for it to go down that much you would have to wait a lot longer then just to the summer&#33;
    I&#39;m guessing maybe go down, but not a huge amount seeing as many people will still have mobo&#39;s with AGP slots so they will still be in fairly high demand, for it to go down that much will take a few years i&#39;d say
    Q6600 @ 3.42Ghz | Gigabyte EP35-DS3R | EVGA 8800GT 721/1802/2006 w/ Accelero S1 | 4gb Crucial DDR2 @ 760mhz | 750gb Hitachi 7k1000 | Corsair 520HX | 2 x Samsung SyncMaster T240 24" | Windows 7 Ultimate