Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zalman Cnps7000a Fan Wont Install

Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Ok, i just got a Zalman CNPS7000A which is claimed to be freakin quiet. I just relised i have a GA-7VT600 1394 which zalman's website says is not capatable with the fan, since it doesnt have the four holes. Now I really need to get that fan on this board, and I'm sure there are other.. less secure ways, but still somewhat holds the fan on the cpu.

Here's some stuff i was thinking about, but i need some more help before i take the risks:

1. The fan can actually be placed right on the cpu without anything in the way, but i would have to have the Computer on it's side and try to not shove it while it's on.

2. There's actually one screw hole that's on the corner of the board, whilst the cpu is near that corner. If i had some kind of metal peice that could be connected to that hole, and leaveing another hole above the cpu.. this could allow some support, but the problem is this could be more risky than the first choice.

My major question is.. is there a hardware mod website or adapter that can allow me to use this fan without the 4 fours? Returning it is not an answer for now.

btw, i could swap my mobo with my dad's gigabyte 7ZXE mobo which has the 4 holes, BUT it's much slower in specs and i would have to use his SDRAM instead of my DDR. Plus the 266 FSB instead of my current 400. would suck too much

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Jeez,
    you are really taking a big risk mounting that hunk 'o copper without the proper mounting brackets.
    I really can't think of a good method of securing the Zalman and getting the proper pressure on the chip without the 4 mounting holes.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Well now i'm really pissed off because i found out my 2 hds are actually makeing noise also.. Looks like it's back to the old fan in da closet! son of a bitch computer

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    god @#%* now it's making some weird bios error noise, so i'm gonna have to go get another cheap fan just so i can run the system standing tower wise. It obviously hates to run on it's side.

^^ I guess this is rather funny.. me and my stress sometimes...

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    racer II's Avatar Poster
    System:
    LANPARTY UT NF4 SLI-DR Expert
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
    Xfx 7900gt extreme
    2x Maxtor 250gb sata
    2x Maxtor 80gb (p)ata
    2x 512mb mem , dual channel
    Tagan 580w psu
    Coolermaster stacker case
    Zalman reserator 1

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    atiVidia's Avatar ^would've been cool.
    can i laugh at you?

pleez?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    woosh... guess ima get one of those quiet pc cases. Any reccomendations for a good one?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    u say it doesnt like to be running on its side...

u didnt by any chance attempt running the pc using the zalman heatsync did you?

cause if you did your cpu is very likely to be fried........................

if you didnt and your using the stock heatsync, well did you remove it then put it back on or was it always left on? in which case, why is the tower on its side?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Well I ran the comp very shortly with the zalman on top of the cpu with the thermal material spread and it just made a constant beep tone noise. It went beeeeeeeeee beeeeeeeee beeeeeeeeee or something like that. It was very monatone. The pc was only on for a split second, because i instantly shut the thing off if i heard something wrong. (heh the controller was also set like to midway speed which means my mobo probably had a required fan speed in order to run)

The cpu isnt probably fried, because i had the same sorta problem happen with another cpu but actually ran it without a a heatsink on a different mobo. LoL, it actually ran for like 10 seconds and i decieded i rather just turn it off because it would overheat soon. The cpu has been used on my aunts computer ever since for atleast 2 years now. No problems at all.

Btw, i didnt smell anything ether. Ushally you do i'm guessing, because the only times i had something fry was my scanner (faulty AC plug) and the thing put off a horrible molten plastic smell. (would start killin brain cells if i left it on all day)

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    lynx's Avatar .
    If the Zalman was in contact with the cpu it will probably be ok, the beeping indicates a different fault. It takes about half a second to fry modern cpu's if you try running them without the heatsink. If you don't believe me, feel free to try it for yourself.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast