Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Computer - New Problems

:helpsmile: I posted this under someone else's topic, but thought maybe it's own would be better.

I had Clean KMD 4.4.4 on my computer for a while, and was running over 100 Kb/s on practically everything, with over 500 at times.

Well... I got a new system with XP Home, larger hard drive, much more memory, etc. I have the same ISP, and same router. I downloaded Clean KMD 4.4.4 again, as it seemed to work so well. I must also say that, at my husband's urging, I first tried to get the paid version of Kazaa Desktop, but it would never work at all for me, so I just got rid of it.

I have configured my router, turned off all XP firewalls, use KaNAT. I have read all I can find on the boards, and nothing helps. I am lucky to get speeds up to 50. They are usually anywhere from .50 to 5.00.

One I am downloading now (or trying to) is running mostly at 5.00 or under, and KDat shows over 200 sources, all good. This is the only one I have running currently. My uploads seem to be doing great, however.

When I had the old computer, I never configured the router, or checked for firewalls or any of that stuff. I just loaded Clean KMD, and started downloading.

I have checked at PCFlank, and it says the port I configured is open.

My bandwidth tests show 1266/132

Also, now, when I run Clean KMD, it is really slow, if not impossible, to do anything else. I have a web based business, and sell on eBay, and before, it was no problem to work while it was running.

Does anyone have any other suggestions of ANYTHING I can do, or try, or check, or ........?

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    h1
    Need specific software / hardware / connection info.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    I don't know if this is all you need, but here is information from PC Pitstop. If you need something else, let me know.
    I had to be away from the board, doing paying work, yesterday.

System AMD Athlon, 2200MHz
    Memory 512MB RAM
    Disk Drives C, D
    Video NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X
    Internet MSIE 6.0; .NET CLR 1.1.4322 (Verizon High Speed DSL)
    Windows Windows XP SP1

I changed my port for Kazaa, after I posted, yesterday, and the problems with multi-tasking has greatly improved. I am now able to run KMD in the background while I am working, but download speeds have not improved.

Thanks,
    Kat

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    h1
    Have you forwarded your ports?

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Yes, I have done that.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Were you running on XP home before? Were you able to get those high speed download until recently?
    Everybody seems to have to deal with the general degradation of download times. It's difficult to understand if it's coming from the fact that nobody is sharing anymore or if it's just a setup problem.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    h1
    Why don't you try a different version, like 2.43 and see what happens?

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    I was running 98 SE on my old system. I was running the high speeds on it, until the day I unplugged it, and plugged this one up (about 6 weeks ago).

I believe I will try the older version, and see what happens. I don't guess it can get much worse!

Thanks,
    kat

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    If this is a problem with the OS I`m tempted to move back to 98 on a dedicated PC. My guess is that you don`t have the old computer still available ? It would be very interesting to see if it still works.
    I move from 98 to XP more than a year ago and now I start to believe that it was at the same time that I experienced a significant drop in speed. At that time I though the drop was coming from the priority level feature they had implemented but since I use K lite (PL 1000) it should not be a problem.
    Going back to 100kbs would be great so this is very interesting. Please keep us posted.

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Unfortunately, I gave the computer to my daughter and son-in-law. They have a dial up connection, so, of course the speeds are pretty slow.
    I haven't gotten around to switching to the older version of klite yet. I have been searching for the thread (around the boards somewhere) about saving the downloads that are started, when you install a new version. I have several paused.

I may also be tempted to switch back to 98 if it helps.

kat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast