Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My "project"

I've been asked to make a PC internet-ready. Nothing too difficult - just install the apps that are needed for safe surfing. No problem, I thought - browse Klite tools, burn a CD, install and run.

How wrong I was.

Windows 95.
    Internet Explorer 3.0.
    Hardware unknown; I'll run Aida32 tomorrow.
    No hardware or software upgrades since November 1996.

And to top it off :

No budget.

Where do I start ?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    BANNED
    www.oldversion.com

That's a start

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Try ancient version

Ok, here's the plan :

-get specs and upgrade to 98SE if possible -> M$ still offers the service packs and upgrades, right ?
    -upgrade IE to 5.5 -> Can I just hammer in 5.0 or do I have to upgrade step-by-step?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    Originally posted by fred devliegher@9 April 2004 - 18:46
    Try ancient version

Ok, here's the plan :

-get specs and upgrade to 98SE if possible -> M$ still offers the service packs and upgrades, right ?
    -upgrade IE to 5.5 -> Can I just hammer in 5.0 or do I have to upgrade step-by-step?
    Trial & Error is your best bet.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Robert00000's Avatar Interweb Fantasist BT Rep: +1
    does it have a modem installed with the drivers? check device manager to find out.

upgrade OS and Browser to the latest possible, install anitvirus and firewall. job done.

whoever wants to use it will just need to subscribe to an ISP.
    Robert00000

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Mozilla Will be a much better browser than Internet Explorer 3.0 + get Java 2 Platform

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    h1
    Mozilla will likely run shit-slow on that. I recommend Firefox.

If you really want to make it "internet-ready," you need Mammoth, a blazing fast program that connects to... (drumroll) FastTrack.

And yes, Kool Lite Tools (look at sig ) and Old Version are your best friends.

[Edit] You won't be able to install 98SE, you don't have a budget, remember?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Originally posted by haxor41789@10 April 2004 - 06:14

If you really want to make it "internet-ready," you need Mammoth, a blazing fast program that connects to... (drumroll) FastTrack.

And yes, Kool Lite Tools (look at sig ) and Old Version are your best friends.

[Edit] You won't be able to install 98SE, you don't have a budget, remember?
    There are "other" ways of obtaning software without a need of a budget. Can you use "other" ways?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    There are "other" ways of obtaning software without a need of a budget. Can you use "other" ways
    ADSL and Bittorrent - no problem.

Figured as much.

does it have a modem installed with the drivers? check device manager to find out.
    56k , he's already got an ISP, connection works. He's only dialed in once to test it - taking this thing on the web right now is near suicide.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    i think the best idea would be to install 98se fresh, then put your nework card into the 98se computer and use the internet on it until youve got everything set up, then put network card back into your computer.

you can install:
    all service packs, critical updates, etc from windowsupdate.com download an antivirus program and also get a firewall, although i think it willl run very slow with those two things...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast