Thread: Laptop To Pc-windows Based

skelley521's Avatar puter ghost
    A friend is wanting me to help them connect an older laptop to their pc and share an internet connection. They also want to be able to access the internet from a hotel room with their laptop.
    My question is what hardware and software will be required to do so.
    The laptop will be on the second floor of their house and the pc is on the first.
    Any info and links would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Steve

Edit: windows 98 on both

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Lick My Lovepump
    Wireless networking. I can't go into details, since I don't know them, but Im' sure other members and Google will help.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    I know very little about laptops, but does it need a PCMIA card to connect to the internet???

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/in...oduct_uid=52898 and http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/in...oduct_uid=52909 is what you need you dont have to get those exact ones but u need a PCI Wireless Card and a PC Card

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    ok here goes.

buy a pci wireless ethernet card for the pc, and a pcmcia or usb wireless card for the laptop. then you gotta buy a wireless router. the internet modem will plug into the wan port of the router and will share the connection for all the computers you need...actually not all the comps u need, there is a max, but probably atleast 4

for the hotel room thing, i think you need to go to the network setup wizard thingy, and select somewhere in it to setup a virtual private network, which means teh other computers can connect to it through the internet or something...not quiet sure how it works, you might need both to have a modem installed then you dial the house number and the desktop willl pick up and establish a connection to the network, thus enabling him to use his internet connection.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Thanks for the info!!

Will there be any problems going wireless within the home by going from first floor to the second floor or would it be better to run a hard line between the pc's?

Thanks Again,
    Steve

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by skelley521@11 April 2004 - 10:50
    Thanks for the info!!

Will there be any problems going wireless within the home by going from first floor to the second floor or would it be better to run a hard line between the pc's?

Thanks Again,
    Steve
    it should be fine. theyre built to go through walls, so floors should be the same

plus my friend has a wireless network now, and its running fine up in his from from the basement.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    For use in a hotel you need a NIC cause you have to use an internet cable for them.
    Need a cheap/easy way of modding your xbox? Check this out.