Thread: Video Card Tv-out

My TV out is an S-Video hole or plug.

Is this normal?

I need to connect to an RCA video cord or ultimately female receiver.

Has anyone used an s-video to RCA converter?

I saw radio shack had a RCA to S-Video converter for 19 US dollars. I will assume that is the same thing and can work bother ways.

Anyone know of a cheaper place to buy it?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Ex-member
    <shameless spam>

I&#39;d like to connect to a ultimately female reciever....

</shameless spam>

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    it should have been ultimately TO a RCA female receiver.

but I enjoyed your post all the same.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    jetje's Avatar former star
    Well healimonster we meet again... B)
    Yeah had the S-video to (Asus videocard with tv-out/in).. Bought a converter cable for that worked well.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    ShareDaddy's Avatar OLD ShareDaddy
    My previous TV did not have a working S-video in, so I used my Sony Audio/Video switchbox and it worked brilliantly. I plugged my S-video cable into the in and the RCA plugs from the box to the TV. However the Sony box was powered and expensive, I have heard you cannot normally get them to work like that, it even stated this on my Sony box, however it did work and work well.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    my nvidia card won&#39;t work with a simple converter cable. it might work with a powered box like sharedaddy has, but i haven&#39;t tried it.

the tv-out on ati cards is more flexible. the s-video out on a radeon is not picky at all about how you connect it to an rca jack. if someone is listing tv-out as a major priority when choosing a card and their tv has no s-video, i&#39;d really recommend getting a radeon just for the no-hassle tv connection.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    how do you know this information?

did you test all these cards with s-video tv-outs and simple s-video to rca connectors?

or are you going by what the manufacturer says? I am sure no manufacturer would state that their card WILL work with some third party s-video converter.

well that is what I hope at least, because I have an nvidia card as well with a s-video tv-out, and I am planing on buying a simple converter to use with my sender. Oh well lets hope this works.

If all else fails my tv has several s-video inputs so i guess I could wire it directly and defeat the purpose of my newly beloved-ed video send.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    ShareDaddy's Avatar OLD ShareDaddy
    Originally posted by healimonster@14 March 2003 - 10:25
    how do you know this information?

did you test all these cards with s-video tv-outs and simple s-video to rca connectors?

or are you going by what the manufacturer says? I am sure no manufacturer would state that their card WILL work with some third party s-video converter.

well that is what I hope at least, because I have an nvidia card as well with a s-video tv-out, and I am planing on buying a simple converter to use with my sender. Oh well lets hope this works.

If all else fails my tv has several s-video inputs so i guess I could wire it directly and defeat the purpose of my newly beloved-ed video send.
    Experience&#33;

A buddy of mine bought a cheap no frills converter or switch box and it would not work. I know the only differences between his box and mine are the following: Mine was a Sony and it was powered, his was a lesser brand and was not powered.

The other thing I can say is that before this latest driver update on my card my buddy would lose his set-up (clone his PC to his TV) each time his PC or TV were shut down, I never had that problem and associate that with the fact my converter box was powered and was never unplugged, so my connection was always powered thus never lost the settings, whereas his when either device was turned off (powered down) would lose his clone settings.

Anything else you may need to know, please reply.

Good Luck as always.