Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Client?

What is the best bittorrent client?

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Samurai's Avatar Usenet Fanboy
    I've heard good things about ABC and Azereus(sp??) so try your hand at them.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Huh ? there is no pinned topic to that question ?
    God there is like one person each week asking that question.

The real answear is There is no best one, you have to try and you'll see the best one you like

So for you to try you need to know some of the existing client

First there is the official one, clean and simple, if you want to do one download at a time with no hassle get this one.

Then come the experimental version, i think there is two of them, the most know is THE SHADOW one's its claimed to be the fastest client of all. Experimental clients test news feature that migth later be included in the original version. They are more likely to crash than the official one, but they are still fairely stable.

Then there is the java one, Azureus... its the greatest of those three as its the only one that really support multiple downloading at one time. YOu can control / schedule just about anything with this one.. there is a plugin architechture and you'll be soon able to remontly control it from a web based interface. It even have an embeded tracker if you wich to start your own torrent pool.

If your question would be wich is the best client in terms of feature then there is no doubt its azureus. However azureus have two downfaces

1) Its written in java wich mean you need to install a java machine on you comp ... (its very likely you already have one if you have xp... you should still upgrade)

2) With that many feature its a bit cpu hungry ... however they have worked on alternative algorythms that seam to be better now

Now there is a fourth category... The shadow experimental client dont support managing multiple torrent natively, but it can run in the background. So there is two client that are using that feature ...

ABC
    TORRENTSTORM

THey are a kind of remonte control for the shadow client ... so you have a nice window and can organise your stuff and those client will do in the background what you should be doing manually if you only had the shadow client

My advice is that... try Azureus
    http://azureus.sourceforge.net/

If your comp hand.. slow down to much or anything then you might need to try
    ABC or TOrrent storm .. they arent as nice and intuitive as azureus but once you get used to it they are good.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    abc does it for me

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Poster
    Azureus for the rare occasion I use Bitt
    On a given day or given circumstance, you think you have a limit.
    And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit and you think "Ok, this is the limit".
    As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further.
    With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    best:
    1. shadows
    2. bittornado
    3. abc
    4. torrentstorm

azureus is based on java. it takes up more resources and the speeds are slow and u can't configure much

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Poster
    Originally posted by abu_has_the_power@11 April 2004 - 23:21
    azureus is based on java. it takes up more resources and the speeds are slow and u can't configure much
    All Bitt clients take up too many resources, the protocol is inherently heavy on resources.
    Download/upload speeds are basically the same for all clients.
    What do you want to configure that you can't?
    And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit and you think "Ok, this is the limit".
    As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further.
    With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    there r features in bittornado and shadows that azureus doesnt have. sometimes those features are very helpful

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Poster
    Originally posted by abu_has_the_power@13 April 2004 - 20:36
    there r features in bittornado and shadows that azureus doesnt have. sometimes those features are very helpful
    What features?

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast