Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Contant Fragging....

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    (VB alert...this may belong in SoftwareWorld-your call.)

How often do you guys have to defrag?
    I have noticed that just hours after a defrag run using Diskeeper, I have fragmentation beginning again.
    This is with no new software installation or deletion...just some surfing.
    I tried PerfectDisk, but results are the same.

Is there something I can do to slow down the fragmenting of my drive?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    BANNED
    Neg, it's natural with every operation your computer (or in this case, your OS) does.

I don't defrag at all mostly because I keep my pc in shape and format it....like every 3 months or something like that.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    I haven't defragged 6 of my partitions in months. I defragged my boot partition tonight for the first time in several weeks.

If you want to slow fragmentation, I suppose you could stop trying to create/move large files...
    On a given day or given circumstance, you think you have a limit.
    And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit and you think "Ok, this is the limit".
    As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further.
    With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    I just finished a clean format/reinstall of XP Pro.
    Before I made my Ghost image I ran Diskeeper.
    Fine.

Several hours later, having done nothing with the machine, Diskeeper tells me that I have 163 fragmented files.
    I haven't rebooted, downloaded, installed anything...basically it was just on.
    Why the fragmentation?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Sorry clocker. I acknowledge you are very well versed in computers. First off, so don't get pissed.

The reason you're defragging or having to defrag all the time. Is that DisKeeper is a POS program. Get PerfectDisk (by Raxco) or O&O Defrag Pro. Then you'll know the truth.

Peace.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    No worries, Zap.
    I have tried PerfectDisk with similar results...but to be fair that was months ago, so I'll try it again.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    ~160 files in a short time is about normal. Remember there are temporary internet cache files and just about anything your PC is doing is going to fragment your files. Don't worry about it so much and just defragment from time to time. Anywhere between weekly or monthly depending how much you use you computer should be adequite.

And oh, I like O&O Defrag.

@clocker, this is both hardware and software related so here is fine.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@11 April 2004 - 21:44
    ~160 files in a short time is about normal. Remember there are temporary internet cache files and just about anything your PC is doing is going to fragment your files. Don't worry about it so much and just defragment from time to time. Anywhere between weekly or monthly depending how much you use you computer should be adequite.

And oh, I like O&O Defrag.

@clocker, this is both hardware and software related so here is fine.
    damb you beat me to it. lol

yeah i was also gonna say that the files are probably your prefetch, your temp folder, and the most likely is the temporary internet files.

oh ya, and any programs that keep a log, or are contanstly changing a file and make teh file bigger willl be making it not fit into the designated space it is given by the defragmenting software, thus making it get fragmented because some of the info in it must be put somewhere else on the disk.

all this is normal, and the only time you should defragment is probably every few months, after installing a big game or program, and after a reinstall of windows. anything else you will most likely not see any improvement in perforamnce.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    With Diskeeper Pro , I use the set it and forget it option runs evertime my screen saver comes on.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    BANNED
    i generally just shut everything down every 2 wks..ish n do it all with diskeeper.I tried powerdisk aswell.It seem'd to have problems fraggin' compressed files like mp3 etc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast