Thread: Canada Set For Mass Seal Hunting

Canada set for mass seal hunting
    The largest single seal hunt in half a century begins in Canada on Monday.
    The government is allowing more than 300,000 seals to be killed this year, many of them in a 36-hour mass cull.

The hunting of young seals for their fur almost stopped off Canada's east coast 25 years ago in the face of international outrage.

Animal rights groups are hoping to sway international opinion against the hunt, but Canadian officials say it is now both humane and necessary.

The seal hunt in Newfoundland and Labrador withered 25 years ago as brutal images of men clubbing infant seals horrified the world.

THE CULL
    Up to 350,000 baby harp seals to be killed this season
    Preliminary culls started at the beginning of April
    2,500 men and 150 trawlers to gather for intensive 36-hour phase of cull on 12 April
    Up to 10,000 seals to be killed per daylight hour
    Killing of "whitecoat" seals - aged up to 12 days - banned
    The US banned imports of seal products in 1972 and the EU followed suit a decade later with a ban on white pelt imports, taken from the youngest babies.
    As a result, the Canadian government reduced quotas for seal hunting to as low as 15,000 annually - mainly for meat and local handicraft.

But with fur again in fashion the hunt is back.

Last year Canada increased the quotas again, allowing a million seals to be killed over the next three years.

It is now being conducted under tighter regulations and most seals are now shot, not clubbed, but the number of animals expected to be taken this year will be the highest in decades and once again it is drawing international attention.

Hard to convince

At the weekend, Canadian Natural Resources Minister John Efford said many claims made overseas about the hunt are simply wrong.

He says the hunt is more humane than ever while the seal population is exploding and commercial fish stocks in the region are vanishing.

But the BBC's Ian Gunn in Vancouver, Canada, says against images of dying seals that can be a hard argument to make convincing.

The Canadian tourism commission admitted last week they are keeping an eye open for an international backlash should the protests gather strength.

Officials estimate there are 5.2 million harp seals in the north Atlantic currently.

Guidelines 'ignored'

Far from being endangered, the seals are responsible for the depletion of cod stocks, they say.

Animal rights groups accuse officials of "attempting to scapegoat seals" for their own fisheries mismanagement.
    The International Fund for Animal Welfare (Ifaw) also says government guidelines on humane hunting methods are being ignored.

"We filmed and witnessed seals being skinned alive right in front of us," Ifaw activist Rebecca Aldworth told Reuters news agency last week.

"We saw live seals being dragged while conscious across the ice with boat hooks, we saw stockpiles of dead and dying seals, it was really horrific."

Another group, the US-based Humane Society, is taking full-page adverts in prominent American newspapers to urge for a travel boycott on Canada.

They also designed shirts reading "Club Sandwiches Not Seals".

Story from BBC NEWS:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/h...as/3618901.stm

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Where's PETA when ya need'em.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    It's called animal husbandry, and it is, at times, necessary.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Originally posted by j2k4@12 April 2004 - 05:16
    It's called animal husbandry, and it is, at times, necessary.
    Culling is occasionally necessary....unfortunatly.

Skinning them alive etc is not.

Culling this amount may be wholley un-necessary.

There is a whole ecological balance to maintain... as well as eating fish, they themselves are eaten by a variety of other species. Culling them to this extent will obviously have a knock on effect elswhere.

While they are common, some of their preditors are not...

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    The numbers do seem high, though that could be due to bureaucratic inertia.

Things get put off for no reason other than someone can't be arsed to do their job in a timely manner.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Poster
    Originally posted by Rat Faced+12 April 2004 - 19:22--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Rat Faced @ 12 April 2004 - 19:22)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-j2k4@12 April 2004 - 05:16
    It&#39;s called animal husbandry, and it is, at times, necessary.
    Culling is occasionally necessary....unfortunatly.

Skinning them alive etc is not.

Culling this amount may be wholley un-necessary.

There is a whole ecological balance to maintain... as well as eating fish, they themselves are eaten by a variety of other species. Culling them to this extent will obviously have a knock on effect elswhere.

While they are common, some of their preditors are not... [/b][/quote]
    Yes it will cause the sickly and weak amongst their predators to die.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    I find it hard to believe seals are eating all the fish and the amounts of fish the seals eat are a very small fraction compared to what humans eat. I hunt and fish myself so I&#39;m by no means an animal rights extremist, but I do try to be humane as possible when taking game by killing them so fast they don&#39;t even know what hit them.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    All the seals I have known eat many more fish than I do; they eat fish every meal&#33;

They probably long for a Big Mac, or something...

-Mark Twain

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    And the ocean makes up most of the earths surface and there aren&#39;t more seals than humans on earth do you feal your more entitled to the fish than seals ? I find hard to believe not hunting them for twenty five years created this crisis, I think not.
    The best part is making Canadians look just as heartless as Americans.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Originally posted by {SHELL%SHOCKED}@12 April 2004 - 22:28
    And the ocean makes up most of the earths surface and there aren&#39;t more seals than humans on earth do you feal your more entitled to the fish than seals ? I find hard to believe not hunting them for twenty five years created this crisis, I think not.
    The best part is making Canadians look just as heartless as Americans.
    Yes, that last certainly turned the trick for me.

BTW-Actually, I begrudge the seals every fish they eat, &#39;cuz they should be mine, all mine.

-Mark Twain