Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Children Of Today

Gemby!'s Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by Skweeky@13 April 2004 - 21:51
    That works for older kids I'm sure. But it's kinda hard to punish a 2-year old that way...
    you could put them in a basket and take them to work - the lil dude will learn from that punishment

god im gonna be a great mum lol
    Single handedly destroying the NHS from the inside

2. Lounge   -   #52
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Originally posted by DWells55+13 April 2004 - 21:30--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (DWells55 @ 13 April 2004 - 21:30)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by Marius24@13 April 2004 - 15:33
    Originally posted by gemby&#33;@13 April 2004 - 20:20
    <!--QuoteBegin-JONNO_CELEBS
    @12 April 2004 - 23:33
    Yup, at the risk of sounding like an old man, kids are nasty little bastards nowadays, personally I blame the parents for the most part and I don&#39;t wanna hear "They always blame the parents" crap, cos it&#39;s true&#33;

oi &#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

im nice (innocent face)

and by the way i blame the parents too

of course parents are to blame&#33; They brought them into the world and should control them. When(/IF) i have children i will disopline them well, i will not be afraid to hit them but i will not abuse it so that i am always beating them. A warning did the trick for me
    Trust me, at least for me, losing my computer for a week hurts a heck of a lot more than a quick slap on the wrist. [/b][/quote]
    A quick whack where it stings when they are younger is indeed most effective, but for older kids this is where it is at - believe me .

The last time I threatened a "no computer week" my daughter promised to complete all the outstanding homework, accrued punishment exercises from school and to reconcile the Arabs and Israelis.

A fair return I thought (although I believe she is checking with the European Court to see of I can enforce it.)

Mine are 16 and 13 and are, for the most part, good (despite my daughters ability to collect detentions) although I suppose good is a relative term. They don&#39;t attack people or drive nice musicians from their homes.

However, I have no magic formula and I am not going to set myself up as a child rearing expert - down that route lies only a fall.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

3. Lounge   -   #53
    I&#39;ve never gotten a detention... I don&#39;t know how I&#39;ve avoided them though, the teachers hand out like 5 a class... Worst I got was sent down to the office for 5 minutes for discussing what a bunny has to do with Easter with a friend in Geometry (and I hadn&#39;t been talking before).

4. Lounge   -   #54
    Gemby!'s Avatar Poster
    they only gave out detentions when i started in school and i was a rite goody goody then so now it dont matter

i argue with teachers now and they dont even gimmie 5 mins after schol - FOOLS &#33;&#33;

5. Lounge   -   #55
    Originally posted by DWells55@13 April 2004 - 22:24
    I&#39;ve never gotten a detention... I don&#39;t know how I&#39;ve avoided them though, the teachers hand out like 5 a class... Worst I got was sent down to the office for 5 minutes for discussing what a bunny has to do with Easter with a friend in Geometry (and I hadn&#39;t been talking before).
    Well apparently you can get detention for drawing Manga characters on your school books, desks, teachers etc., not to mention forgetting homework, previous punishment exercises and generally talking in class.

With regards the bunny, Oestre was the goddess of the spring equinox (21st of March) her symbol was the March Hare. Hence the name Easter and the Easter Bunny. It is one of those Pagan things which has just stuck.

6. Lounge   -   #56
    As the kids point of view (I&#39;m 14) I think you should bring back punishment for children say over 13. I&#39;m not really scared of my dad cuz we joke around and get along great but I still respect him and do what he says.

I hate the bastard kids that live by me that do what they want and terrorize other people. I do what I can to keep them away from the little kids in my neighborhood but I don&#39;t like to fight either. It&#39;s funny I&#39;ve never fought anyone in my life and people are scared of me.

The only time I got in trouble in school is when this bastard sophmore...I was in 7th grade advanced algebra with all the older kids threw something at me and I threw a pencil back and he turned his head at the right time and I wacked him right in the eye with the pencil and he got up and yelled "You little fucker&#33;" and we both got detentions but since I had never got in trouble before my teacher decided not to tell my parents as long as I came to the detention when I was supposed to and did what she asked me to do.

On topic: If someone threw a knife at me and I lived they had just better hope that their parents love them enough to die for them. But I&#39;m not a violent person .

7. Lounge   -   #57
    Gemby!'s Avatar Poster
    i know what u mean - they are a rite bunch of fuckers and they ruin us gud-ish kids reputation &#33;&#33;&#33;

8. Lounge   -   #58
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by Biggles@13 April 2004 - 16:46
    Well apparently you can get detention for drawing Manga characters on your school books, desks, teachers etc., not to mention forgetting homework, previous punishment exercises and generally talking in class.

Biggles-

You indicate here one of the necessary lessons to be learned in life; hopefully while young:

Different people have different standards; one best learn to accomodate others, and not just authority figures either.

On the heels of learning how to give this "space" to others, one learns how to stake out one&#39;s own space, also.

I empathize with the youngsters who feel the inequity of beong lumped in with the "bad apples"; peer pressure, pecking orders-it&#39;s a mess, socially, but that isn&#39;t really so much different than when we were young.

As has been stated elsewhere here, parental authority has been undermined by the legal system, the educational system doesn&#39;t help at all, and the mass media all militate against kids growing up "right".

It really is a wonder as many manage as they do, and I give a tip of my hat to them and parents like yourself who continue to make the effort.

My kids are grown, but are, due to certain circumstances, in more-or-less constant need of proper parental guidance.

Funny how much better you get at that once you&#39;re allowed to actually do it.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

9. Lounge   -   #59
    J2

Would agree absolutely with you there.

I am fortunate that my son and the detention queen of second year (year 9 in your system, I think) are at a pretty good traditional Scottish school where the teachers can still feel confident enough to give out detention for talking in class rather than for having to reserve it for kids using shotguns to fight turf wars over drug deals.

I am hopeful they both might come through their education with some decent qualifications (but I will touch wood as I say it )

Gemby

Whilst one might agree with your sentiments that is a little course for a young lady, write 100 times I must not .........-

10. Lounge   -   #60
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    I have been looking for this for a few days, and think it bears on the situation of "kids" these days.

It is a column which appeared a couple of years ago.

It&#39;s not too long; What do you think?

Thomas Sowell

Goodbye to Sara and Benjamin?

RECENTLY A COUPLE of dear friends visited us, bringing with them their six-year-old twins, Sara and Benjamin. These are some of the loveliest children you could meet -- not just in appearance, but in their behavior.

They are the kinds of kids you can see in Norman Rockwell paintings, but less and less in the real world.

Now Sara and Benjamin are going off to public school and it is painful to imagine what they might be like a year from now. Most people are unaware how much time and effort the public schools -- and some private schools -- are putting into undermining the values and understanding that children were taught by their parents and re-orienting them toward the avant-garde vision of the world that is fashionable in the educational establishment.

Today&#39;s educators believe it is their job to introduce children like Sara and Benjamin to sex when and in whatever manner they see fit, regardless of what the children&#39;s parents might think. Raw movies of both heterosexuals and homosexuals in action are shown in elementary schools.

Weaning children away from their parents&#39; influence in general is a high priority in many schools. Children sit in what is called a "magic circle" and talk about all sorts of personal things, with the rule being that they are not to repeat any of these things to anyone outside this magic circle.

Sometimes they are explicitly told not to repeat what is said to their parents.

Some handbooks for teachers warn against letting parents know the specifics of what is being done and provide strategies for side-stepping parental questions and concerns. Glowing generalities and high-sounding names like "gifted and talented" programs conceal what are nothing more than brainwashing operations to convert the children from their parents&#39; values to the values preferred by educational gurus.

Right and wrong are among the earliest targets of these programs. "There is no &#39;right&#39; way or &#39;right&#39; age to have life experiences," one widely used textbook says. Another textbook tells children that they may listen to their parents "if you are interested in their ideas." But, if there is a difference of opinion, parent and child alike should see the other&#39;s point of view "as different, not wrong."

Sara and Benjamin are only six years old and are going into the first grade. Will any of this apply to them? Yes. There is a textbook designed for children ranging from pre-school to the third grade, which tells children about their rights and about asserting those rights to parents. Whenever "things happen you don&#39;t like," you have "the right to be angry without being afraid of being punished" it says.

In other words, don&#39;t take any guff off mommy and daddy. Who are they? As another textbook says, parents are just "ordinary people with faults and weaknesses and insecurities and problems just like everyone else." In many of the textbooks, movies and other material used in schools, parents are depicted as old-fashioned people who are out of touch and full of hang-ups.

What these smug underminers of parents fail to understand is that the relationship of a child to his or her parents is the most extraordinary relationship anyone is likely to have with another human being. No one else is likely to sacrifice so much for another person&#39;s well-being. If the avant-garde ideas taught to children in schools blow up in their faces, it is the parents who will be left to pick up the pieces, not the glib gurus.

Most of the classroom teachers who carry out such educational fashions and fetishes have no idea where they originated or what their underlying purpose is. In reality, many of the techniques and strategies used to break down the child&#39;s values, personality and modesty are straight out of totalitarian brainwashing practices from the days of Stalin and Mao.

That is the origin, for example, of the personal journals that children are required to keep in schools all across the United States. These journals are not educational. Gross mistakes in spelling, grammar and usage are ignored, not corrected. These journals are gateways to the psyche and the first step in manipulating little minds.

As our friends departed and went off to enroll their children in the public schools, I could not help wondering if I had seen Sara and Benjamin for the last time. Would they still be the same sweet children after they have been used as guinea pigs by those who claim to be trying to educate them?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast