Thread: Need Help

Tormentor's Avatar Searching The People
    I just changed a set of strings and whenver i tighten them to tune they get really tight really quick and one even snaped. Whats the hell is going on?
    - Unleash The Power Of The Wii, Unlock It Today!
    http://www.castabet.net

2. Music   -   #2
    Poster

3. Music   -   #3
    what do I put here? BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    do you have a electric tuner???

don't tune to smart can be dangerous also painful and scare the shit of you when it snaps!!

is it only 1 string???

if it is maybe teh Nut is f*cked

if it's doing it too them all your tuning to sharp

also maybe a stupid question

your not trying to put steel strings on a Nolan string guitar?

4. Music   -   #4
    i boil all my set of strings b4 i put the on , an old trick but it works , i get 2 to 3 times more wear out of a set

and they stay in tune longer

stick a set in boiling watr for 3 minutes and remove and let cool , then stick em on

believe me it works

5. Music   -   #5
    what do I put here? BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Originally posted by delphin460@13 April 2004 - 16:16
    i boil all my set of strings b4 i put the on , an old trick but it works , i get 2 to 3 times more wear out of a set

stick a set in boiling watr for 3 minutes and remove and let cool , then stick em on

believe me it works
    really?? that works

must try it

also another thing when tuning stretch the strings with your hand

6. Music   -   #6
    Afronaut's Avatar Xenu
    Originally posted by delphin460@13 April 2004 - 07:16

believe me it works
    I know some Bassists whom take the strings off after sometime, boil them and put them back. The boiling takes away the fat and stuff off of the strings, works pretty well and if you think about the prices of Bass Strings, I would do it too.
    I have not heard of any guitarist that does the this trick. It works well on the
    wounded strings, but I dont see what good it really does for the lightest, unwounded strings, same results one can get with cleaning fluids + piece of cloth.

For your problem about the snapping strings, I'd need to know what guitar and what strings you're using.
    Hard to tell what went wrong otherwise...

Google for Guitar Setup gives some links to check out too.

Spoiler: Show

7. Music   -   #7
    u shud try tuning them reli slow
    Hetfield Kicks Ass!

8. Music   -   #8
    Originally posted by Guitar&#045;Slinger+13 April 2004 - 08:20--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Guitar-Slinger @ 13 April 2004 - 08:20)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-delphin460@13 April 2004 - 07:16

believe me it works
    I know some Bassists whom take the strings off after sometime, boil them and put them back. The boiling takes away the fat and stuff off of the strings, works pretty well and if you think about the prices of Bass Strings, I would do it too.
    I have not heard of any guitarist that does the this trick. It works well on the
    wounded strings, but I dont see what good it really does for the lightest, unwounded strings, same results one can get with cleaning fluids + piece of cloth.

For your problem about the snapping strings, I&#39;d need to know what guitar and what strings you&#39;re using.
    Hard to tell what went wrong otherwise...

Google for Guitar Setup gives some links to check out too.

[/b][/quote]
    yes bass guys do it to clean their strings , but we started doing it 10 years ago , it makes the strings , even the none wound ones less brittle and less chance of snapping while tuning up

it also gives otherwise cheap nasty sounding string some zing and makes them brighter

like i said at first we did it for a joke to piss of the bass player , but now its just become second nature

hey give it a go , it cant hurt and you just might be suprised ( use strings that you buy regular like to test it out , as you know there sound b4 and after this )

9. Music   -   #9
    Afronaut's Avatar Xenu
    I&#39;ve been using D&#39;Addario strings most of my life, that would be about 23 years of playing,
    not because they are best but they seem to work OK on my guitars.
    I play reather hard, strings pops every now and then and i chance that string or
    fasten it again (in floyd rose system) and if my strings gets old, usually
    I chance them all at the same time.

Never had to cook &#39;em but some day i probably will, he he,
    just out of interest.
    But it sounds like a lot of work and im a lazy man...

There&#39;s also strings like Elixir that has
    some sorta coating on that should slow the wearing-process.
    A friend of mine is using them all the time, I had to try them also but i found out
    that they was just not worth it, so much more expensive, yet the wearing process
    was not so much slower, if not all.
    Maybe i got Acid-Sweat pouring from my Huge Hands, i dunno... lol

Spoiler: Show

10. Music   -   #10
    Originally posted by delphin460@13 April 2004 - 12:51
    like i said at first we did it for a joke to piss of the bass player , but now its just become second nature
    dude&#33;&#33;&#33; wtf? bass is better than guitar. guitar is amazin, but bass is way better. all them guitar solos by lead guitarists do kick ass, but bass is harder and shit like that&#33; dnt just piss them off coz they got a better instrument. more ppl r guitar players than bass players coz they think, yooooooooooo&#33; big mofo assed fuk off solos, but bass is harder and u need more skill.

that is if ur slaggin bass players, if ur not, them lol.
    Hetfield Kicks Ass&#33;