Thread: How To Delete That Annoying Avi

blank BT Rep: +1
    A mod may want to pin this as it is always being asked in software and movie section.

How to delete that avi (movie file) that simply wont go away…

Before following any of the following, make sure you have read the entire guide and dont simply follow the first you see. Also close any p2p programs you are running as the file could be being downloaded by another user (especially on overnet/edonkey clients where partial files are uploaded). Also check in windows task manager (ctrl alt del) and make sure there arent any odd programs running that werent there before you downloaded the file. If there is, stop this process and try deleting the file.

Corrupted or incomplete avi files can cause problems in windows XP. There is a “bug” in XP that causes Explorer to read the entire contents of broken/corrupted avi files before allowing any access to them (such as deleting).
    This “bug” is caused by bad behaviour of shmedia.dll.

There are various options open allowing you to delete the file depending on how confident you are with computers.

Option one: Removing the bad registry.

Go to start in windows xp, run and type regedit and then ok.

The following registries have been noted to cause problems. Always back up your registry before messing about with it.

Simply remove the following registry and the problem will be solved:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREClassesCLSID{87D62D94-71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850DC73E}InProcServer32

Tip: You will not be able to find this key by “searching” for it, you will have to find it manually. I would not advise noobs or newbies to follow this option.

If the above registry doesnt solve the problem, try the following:
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.avi\shellex\PropertyHandler

Tip: This may stop xp from previewing the movie so remember to backup your entry incase this occurs

Option two: The fix

Click here and download the file. When the download has finished, right click on it and select install. Then the avi should delete without any problems.

Tip: This is the most simple option and I would advise noobs/newbies/lazy gets to follow this

Option three: Command
    In windows xp you can try deleting the file this way.
    Go to Start, run, command, then type "cd:\your folder name", then "del your file name.avi" (but without the quotation marks)

Option four:
    If the avi is in a folder of its own, simply delete the folder. This sometimes works as xp hasnt been "asked" to preview the file yet.

Tip: You may need to restart after following any of the options

I have kept this as simple as possible as not to confuse noobs but feel free to ask for help if none of the above dont work.
    Shut that cunt’s mouth or I’ll come over there and fuckstart her head.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    I had one of those "Pain in the Ass .AVI files"
    all I done was open up Nero Burning Rom and Delete it Via that Browser!
    It worked for me!!

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    Originally posted by BILLY-THE-FISH@13 April 2004 - 19:18
    all I done was open up Nero Burning Rom and Delete it Via that Browser!
    It worked for me!!
    thats what i got told to do last time i had a bad avi too

worked too

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    blank BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by Marius24+13 April 2004 - 19:25--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Marius24 @ 13 April 2004 - 19:25)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-BILLY&#045;THE&#045;FISH@13 April 2004 - 19:18
    all I done was open up Nero Burning Rom and Delete it Via that Browser&#33;
    It worked for me&#33;&#33;
    &nbsp; &nbsp;
    thats what i got told to do last time i had a bad avi too

worked too [/b][/quote]
    yes i did that too but not all (esp newbies) have nero....but i can add it to the options if this is going to be pinned
    Shut that cunt’s mouth or I’ll come over there and fuckstart her head.