Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I Get In Trouble For This?

BigDaddy555's Avatar ONE MIN. NINE SEC.
    a certain someone used my computer one day to log onto AOL. What this person did not know is that I have a keylogger on MY computer. So, occasionally I was checking their email account. Not only that but I signed onto AIM under this users name and was talking to this persons significant other, unknown to them that it was really me. Well I found out some things, and dropped the ball that I was not who they thought they were talking to. They cant figure out how I got the password (twice) and they are pretty pissed. They cant actually prove that it was indeed me accessing the email (they just assumed I did because I knew things that I could have only know by reading the Emai) Im sure AOL knows everytime it was accessed and by what IP address, but is there really anything they can do. They act like I will be in trouble, but I dont see how I did anything illegal, because it was MY computer. SORRY TO BE LONG WINDED.........any opinions?

2. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #2
    SeK612's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Don't see why AOL would be bothered who accessed the account. It didn't harm or even effect them in anyway. The person just needs to change their password and not log on from your machine again. I suppose what you've done may be considered hacking at a low level (gaining unauthorized access) and fraud (impersonating someone else). You may have breeched some of your ISP's TOS and / or AOL's.

3. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #3
    If you use keyloggers to gain family or friends usernames/passwords so you can spy on them then you deserve everything they throw at you.

The answer to your question is AOL have to by law provide this information or act upon this unauthorised access of someone's account. They wont give your name and address out, but they will probably give out the IP or email the offending User/ISP regarding this. I presume your on AOL aswell and AOL take security very serious they could just cancel your account.

4. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #4
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    You're a jerk BigDaddy555.

Stop spying on others.

5. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #5
    BigDaddy555's Avatar ONE MIN. NINE SEC.
    I live alone, but I keep the keylogger because you never know when it could be useful. It was the ex wife on my computer. I was just browsing thru the log and there it was. You would have done the same thing. I wasnt trying to spy on anyone if that is the impression I made. But I couldnt resist having a little fun. She acts like she is going to have me thrown in jail as if she could. It was her fault about AIM because she signed on and the password was saved. No I dont use aol, I do have an email address with them though. F*#k 'em if they cant take a joke.............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #6
    ahctlucabbuS's Avatar <
    It was her fault about AIM because she signed on and the password was saved
    lol you have a funny view on moral.
    *shrug*

edit: yea

7. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #7
    h1
    hobbes will eat this guy alive.

8. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #8
    Poster
    Originally posted by BigDaddy555@13 April 2004 - 16:16
    ...but I dont see how I did anything illegal, because it was MY computer.
    But it wasn&#39;t your AIM account, or email account, was it? You know the answer, but if you can&#39;t understand the reasoning... well... you need a swift kick in the teeth. Maybe another one for good measure.

Not trying to spy... Pfft. You&#39;re correct in that statement; you didn&#39;t "try"... you did.

I was honestly waiting for a criminal violation like "...and made a few purchases with her credit card" in that list of moral violations.

any opinions?
    Yeah... you&#39;re an ass.

9. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #9
    Mullyman's Avatar Poster
    Now i know why you live alone asshole
    DEMO'S WORLD
    Knowledge And Wisdom Are Gained By Listening And Observing And Knowing When To Keep Your Fucking Mouth Shut!!!!

10. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #10
    Poster
    It depends on state laws, however the protections are little to none.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast