Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mcafee Av Better Than Norton Av ?

Poster
    There was a german TV show called "Planetopia" and they have tested about 7 most common AntiVirus programs (like Norton AV, McAfee, Kaspersky, etc).

And McAfee was way better than Norton AntiVirus.McAfee got the most points (about 19 points) and Norton had only like 9 points or so.

Is McAfee realy much better than Norton AntiVirus ?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    It has higher detection rates, yes
    On a given day or given circumstance, you think you have a limit.
    And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit and you think "Ok, this is the limit".
    As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further.
    With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    it apparantly catches viruses better as 4thgen has said, and i find that norton slows down my computer when the realtime scanner is running by a lot, but the mcafee real time scanner doesnt slow it down so much. downside to mcafee is that is tuses a lot of resources

i prefer mcafee still.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    So you guys think I should uninstall my Norton AV 2003 Pro and Install McAfee instead ? If so, what is the newest (or best) version of McAfee ??

btw, my specs:
    Intel Pentium 4 2.0 GHz
    GeForce 2 MX/MX 400 64 MB
    256 MB RDRAM
    40 GB HDD 7200 rpm
    ASUS P4T Mobo
    Creative SoundBlaste Audio PCI 128
    Motorola Speakerphone Modem (56kb/s)

What do you think, is McAfee going to slow my PC too much ?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by Dark Ride@13 April 2004 - 18:52
    So you guys think I should uninstall my Norton AV 2003 Pro and Install McAfee instead ? If so, what is the newest (or best) version of McAfee ??

btw, my specs:
    Intel Pentium 4 2.0 GHz
    GeForce 2 MX/MX 400 64 MB
    256 MB RDRAM
    40 GB HDD 7200 rpm
    ASUS P4T Mobo
    Creative SoundBlaste Audio PCI 128
    Motorola Speakerphone Modem (56kb/s)

What do you think, is McAfee going to slow my PC too much ?
    hmm you dont have too much ram, but thats ok, mcafee runs fine on my old computer which has 256mb. the latest version is version 8. u can find it on kazaa lite or some other p2p program. make sure u get teh full version, not trial\demo. try it and if it seems to slow down ur computer just switch back to norton.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    I presonally dislike Norton, now. Everything you've heard about it not being good is true, at least with the later version.

McAfee... I really don't like McAfee. Really, this is in my own experience, but it didn't catch jackshit. Not to mention the fact that it leaves lots of crap on uninstallation. McAfee AVERT Stinger, on the other hand, I think is a useful tool, but it's not a full anti-virus.

Trend Micro's software was a joke that crashed my system.

AVG, I really liked. I used the free version for a while and tried the pro version and really liked that one. Excellent detection with low system usage.

I am currently trying NOD32, and it is so far my favorite. The most configurable, nice interface, low system resources used, and it seems to catch everything.
    So, I wouldn't recommend either McAfee or Norton. If it works for you, then by all means go ahead, but I think you should try NOD32.

-- Xero Grid --
    <span style='color:green'>Supertrick XG Forums</span> | Supertrick XG - Your solution to ads, pop-ups, malicious code, and the rest of the garbage just floating around the web.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Izagaia's Avatar Her angel of darkness
    Beyond midnight, near you, in darkness...
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1371023,00.asp

The pages that follow thereafter, in that article, give an editorial comparison between four of the top performers/most widely used.

Draw your own conclusions.

For now however, I am sticking with my NIS2004 Pro suite for security and Systemworks for maitenance.

Yet I am seriously considering using Symantec&#39;s Firewall and Virtual Private Network 7.0 Corp Edition (which includes Symantec&#39;s corp AV) for security and something "non-symantec-ish" along the lines of TuneUp Utilities 2004 for system needs.

However, if I actually had my way and could find an english version of, I would really like to get my hands on Symantec&#39;s Client Security. I do not really know if it would be practical for home-use on a single system but damn man, it sure sounds uberly (if that is a real word) impressive.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Unless I had an uber computer I wouldn&#39;t run either, for system resources reasons. Oh yeah I&#39;d have to not care about security either, lol. And Mc*f** is still a word when used in full is worthy of disdain for the user.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Retired
    I prefer Norton corp edition, only problem is I have to update it manually

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    ooh, i like panda antivirus but i cant find any cracks that actually work for the latest version, so ive stopped using it. but i might actually end up buying a year or 2 subscription if i cant find any better antivirus programs which i actually like...u can try the trial version if u want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast