Thread: Microsoft Update

newcster68's Avatar Taxicab Co. Owner
    The following Critical updates were just released by Microsoft. Check Your Windows Updates. Mine just popped up and I downloaded all of them.

Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express 6 Service Pack 1 (KB837009)

Download size: 1.9 MB

A security issue has been identified in Microsoft Outlook Express that could allow an attacker to read files on your computer, or cause a program to run. You can help protect your computer by installing this update. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. read more.....

Critical Update for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 (KB831167)

Issued: April 13, 2004
    Version: 1.0
    Download size: 378 KB

An identified issue may cause errors when Internet Explorer attempts to renew a connection to a server. You should apply this update if you begin to receive errors connecting to websites after you have applied the KB832894 security update to Internet Explorer. After you install this item, you may need to restart your computer. read more....

Security Update for Windows XP (KB837001)

Download size: 284 KB

A security issue has been identified that could allow an attacker to compromise a computer running Windows and gain control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. read more....

Security Update for Windows XP (KB828741)

A security issue has been identified that could allow an attacker to compromise a computer running Windows and gain control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. read more...

Security Update for Windows XP (KB835732)

Multiple security issues have been identified that could allow an attacker to compromise a computer running Windows and gain complete control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. read more...

2. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #2
    Afronaut's Avatar Xenu
    Yeah, i saw the option about "Get music in teh Net" addon too,
    I think I stick to my other means... lol

Did the updates though.

Overall, I use Firefox or Opera as a browser nowadays,
    so much more faster.

Spoiler: Show

3. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #3
    mine popped up and I didn't download any of em, aint likely to either

4. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #4
    blank BT Rep: +1
    From netcraft

Windows Update struggling to remain available

Microsoft's Windows Update web site has been experiencing slow response times in the wake of yesterday's release of critical security updates. A browser request through Internet Explorer eventually raises the site after an extended wait, and in some cases it is possible to successfully download and install updates over a broadband connection.

Dynamically updating performance charts for Windows Update are available here.

The service is struggling for availability at a crucial moment of need for Windows users. Microsoft yesterday released four security updates, including three critical patches that Microsoft urged customers to install immediately. They include a patch for an SSL vulnerability that leaves Windows 2000 and NT4 SSL sites open to remote compromise. The current sluggish performance of Windows Update is a particular challenge for Windows users ondial-up Internet connections, as the Windows XP download is 3 megabytes.

The DNS for windowsupdate.microsoft.com is managed by Savvis Communications, which runs the former Digital Island content distribution network (CDN) it acquired from Cable & Wireless earlier this year. CDNs help manage Internet traffic (including DDoS attacks) by using large, geographically distributed networks of servers to move files closer to the end user.

Microsoft used a CDN service from Akamai to keep its web site online last August, when the Blaster worm programmed machines to launch a DDoS on the Windows Update site. Microsoft's strategy drew considerable attention, as the front page of the www.microsoft.com site was served by Linux machines on Akamai's network. Savvis is using Windows Server 2003 to manage the Windows Update traffic.
    Shut that cunt’s mouth or I’ll come over there and fuckstart her head.