Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: What A Freedom... What A Democracy

Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Originally posted by vidcc@17 April 2004 - 19:06

was it lee clegg that was jailed for shooting a civilian in a car that went through a checkpoint in Norther Ireland?.
    At least the American troops are not subject to criminal retribution
    This ain't Northern Ireland.

Suicide bombers are blowing up checkpoints vid.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

2. The Drawing Room   -   #42
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Originally posted by Busyman+17 April 2004 - 15:12--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Busyman @ 17 April 2004 - 15:12)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-vidcc@17 April 2004 - 19:06

was it lee clegg that was jailed for shooting a civilian in a car that went through a checkpoint in Norther Ireland?.
    At least the American troops are not subject to criminal retribution
    This ain&#39;t Northern Ireland.

Suicide bombers are blowing up checkpoints vid. [/b][/quote]
    and in northern ireland soldiers weren&#39;t being shot??....army barracks weren&#39;t being attacked.?....the biggest difference here is purely scale.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #43
    hi all
    there is a new movie i will going to watch... its name is "control room"...i think that will show how is truth is lost in the US media channels and the diff. between what channels in US are showing and the other parts of the world chaneels r showing .

4. The Drawing Room   -   #44
    Poster
    Suicide bombings were rarely used in Northern Ireland as I understand the situation.

If a car went headlong towards a checkpoint it was probably because the brakes had failed.

The terrorists there tended to commit their acts and live to terrorize another day.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #45
    i don&#39;t think there was any suicide bombings in northern ireland...but checkpoints were attacked, the weapon of choice is irrelevent. The post was merely about one less accountability issue for the troops to worry about.
    I don&#39;t agree with the war however I support the troops 100%. May innocent civilians stop being killed and may our troops all come home safe.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #46
    chalice's Avatar ____________________
    Lee Clegg was sentenced to life for the murder of Karen Reilly (18) and Martin Peake (17). All they did was drive through a checkpoint. It was very close to my home at the time.

Two years later he was released and his conviction was quashed. In 1999 he was promoted.

Accountability? Don&#39;t make me laugh.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #47
    Originally posted by chalice@18 April 2004 - 06:27
    Lee Clegg was sentenced to life for the murder of Karen Reilly (18) and Martin Peake (17). All they did was drive through a checkpoint. It was very close to my home at the time.

Two years later he was released and his conviction was quashed. In 1999 he was promoted.

the point about accountability is that he was charged in the first place, something i couldn&#39;t see happening in the Iraqi situation..... the rights or wrongs of the clegg case will always be open to debate. We weren&#39;t actually there to see what happened so i won&#39;t quibble on details.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #48
    Poster
    That is the point being made Chalice.

In circumstances where suicide bombing, including cars into checkpoints, are a standard procedure the military will react to that. They will fire on a car which appears to be a danger.

Where however there is no form for suicide bombing, including but not limited to attacks on checkpoints, then to fire on the car is an entirely different thing.

It appears obvious to me, tho&#39; I could be wrong, that the situations are entirely different.

I think that is the point busyman was making, not whether or not soldiers were being murdered. I am sure he will correct me if I have picked him up wrong.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #49
    chalice's Avatar ____________________
    Originally posted by vidcc+18 April 2004 - 14:39--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (vidcc &#064; 18 April 2004 - 14:39)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-chalice@18 April 2004 - 06:27

the point about accountability is that he was charged in the first place, something i couldn&#39;t see happening in the Iraqi situation..... the rights or wrongs of the clegg case will always be open to debate. We weren&#39;t actually there to see what happened so i won&#39;t quibble on details. [/b][/quote]
    What is the point of creating tribunals if they are corrupt? That&#39;s worse than having no accountablity at all.

I&#39;d agree with Busyman and JP that the situations are entirely different. The only suicide bombers we have in N Ireland are the inept ones who blow themselves up en route. And there&#39;s been plenty of them. In the past it hasn&#39;t been beyond the paramilitaries to hijack a vehicle and coerce the driver into transporting primed explosives to the target.

The Shankill Road bombing (an atrocity by any standard) claimed one of the bombers.

Checkpoints have come under heavy fire in borderlands like Crossmaglen where the infamous "sniper at work" roadsign still stands.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #50
    Poster

Chalice

Why do they leave such a sign up. Is it seen as a reminder of earlier times.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast