Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: High Upload Anomaly

Poster
    Originally posted by Nobody1234+13 March 2003 - 18:24--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Nobody1234 @ 13 March 2003 - 18:24)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--TIDE-HSV@13 March 2003 - 16:40
    As Switeck pointed out above, there&#39;s the problem of the USB 1.1/Ethernet 10 (if that&#39;s what he had) limitations.
    Why do you think he has USB 1.1/Ethernet 10 ? He never said that. [/b][/quote]I think his cablemodem connection connects to his computer via USB v1.1 or 10Mbps ethernet LAN because USB v2.0/100Mbps cablemodems are only just now appearing on the market. The few examples that have been around for awhile are still expensive.

2. File Sharing   -   #42
    As I said, my new modem connects via Ethernet. My router/firewall is 100/10, and so are the NICa, but the modem may be only 10.

3. File Sharing   -   #43
    I think his cablemodem connection connects to his computer via USB v1.1 or 10Mbps ethernet LAN because USB v2.0/100Mbps cablemodems are only just now appearing on the market. The few examples that have been around for awhile are still expensive.
    My setup has an external ADSL modem connected via my 10/100Mbps LAN card. I have had this for quite some time now so they are not new.

I didn&#39;t say that. I just quoted Switeck. He just pointed out that, if he were using either of those two standards - most people still do - that it would place the transfer even further outside the realm of the possible. And this was examining the possibility that he may have been, unknowingly, DLing from himself.
    If he is downloading from himself or within his local network he is not limited by his modem in any way. The transfer is happening on his side of the modem via his internal network and does not have to pass though the modem.

4. File Sharing   -   #44
    Even if he&#39;s not a SuperNode? You mean you think the transfer is happening locally on his hard drive? Detail the mechanics of that.

5. File Sharing   -   #45
    You&#39;re getting warmer.

6. File Sharing   -   #46
    I&#39;m over 60 - too old for games.

7. File Sharing   -   #47
    Poster
    Originally posted by Nobody1234@13 March 2003 - 21:23
    My setup has an external ADSL modem connected via my 10/100Mbps LAN card. I have had this for quite some time now so they are not new.
    That does not tell me whether the ADSL&#39;s LAN card can run at 100Mbps or not... or even if it matters, because if ADSL maxes out at 8Mbps download speeds it certainly cannot manage 2 MB/sec OR much need a LAN card faster than 10Mbps.

8. File Sharing   -   #48
    In any event, the program, as I understand it, searches the FastTrack network, which means that the connection will be through a Super Node, not on the local machine. Therefore, the latency alone would prevent such speeds. I&#39;m still open to anyone, who knows what he&#39;s talking about, to explain why the program would not follow its normal protocol.

9. File Sharing   -   #49
    I should have closed this up long ago. As I received the first responses to my post, I checked to see the integrity of the file. It turns out I had downloaded an episode from the wrong season. So most of the posts are right on target when they say I had a duplicate file. When I realized this, however, my computer did one of those neat little tricks where it shuts off for no reason. After calling tech support for hours, I finally had the problem fixed, but I forgot all about this post and let it run rampant. However, I have since (mistakenly) done this kind of thing again and download times were normal. I run all of the programs that continually search for new downloads, so I&#39;m wondering why I didn&#39;t "download off of myself" this time. Anyway, sorry to waste your time. BTW, I have 10/100 Ethernet Card, if anyone&#39;s still wondering.

For the record, my projected download speed was 2000 KiloBYTES/sec.

10. File Sharing   -   #50
    It&#39;s not the fact that you DLed from yourself; I think that&#39;s a given at this point. The mechanics of how it happened, however, still interest me. Are you functioning as a Super Node? If you are, then that may be the answer.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast