Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gigabyte 3d Cooler

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Anyone here have any direct, first-hand experience with this heatsinK?

Looking at it today I was intrigued by the design and the universiality of the mounting system appeals.

I've read several web reviews and the results are all over the map- some like it, some don't.

I know from my experience with the Zalman 7000cu that reviews and real, at-home results are sometimes very different.
    So...anybody?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Yup! I have one cooling my athlon 2500+ right now
    my temps are decent, nothing spectacular, but my cpu is about 45 under load
    keep in mind that is oc'ed to 2300Mhz (210x11) with a vcore of 1.675
    that is also on lowest settings, 2000rpm
    it is actually really quiet on 2000 rpm, but on anything over 3000rpm it gets quite loud....
    the nice thing about it though is it is one of the few coolers that can actually cool on low settings
    It is nice to look at for sure! maybe not the number 1 preformer on the market, but it is definatly not bad at all.
    scottwile also has this cooler, and his temps are 31 idle (2000rpm), not sure under load, but that is for a 2800+ stock speeds
    Q6600 @ 3.42Ghz | Gigabyte EP35-DS3R | EVGA 8800GT 721/1802/2006 w/ Accelero S1 | 4gb Crucial DDR2 @ 760mhz | 750gb Hitachi 7k1000 | Corsair 520HX | 2 x Samsung SyncMaster T240 24" | Windows 7 Ultimate

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    FlyingDutchman's Avatar Poster
    Seeing a cooler like that, I feel an almost irresistable urge to mod it.

Now what if:

You removed the fan,
    Mounted a hose to the top of the cooler,
    And sucked air through the cooler to be dumped outside the case?

Is there any cooler I can leave alone?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Originally posted by FlyingDutchman@14 April 2004 - 19:43
    Seeing a cooler like that, I feel an almost irresistable urge to mod it.

Now what if:

You removed the fan,
    Mounted a hose to the top of the cooler,
    And sucked air through the cooler to be dumped outside the case?

Is there any cooler I can leave alone?
    I believe the fan would be quite difficult to remove, but it may be worth a try

oh and another thing about it that is nice is that it blows cool air through the aluminum fins in the side and cools surrounding components as well
    although clocker, i have also heard good things about the aeroflow 2, and the jet 7
    not sure how they compare to this one though...
    Q6600 @ 3.42Ghz | Gigabyte EP35-DS3R | EVGA 8800GT 721/1802/2006 w/ Accelero S1 | 4gb Crucial DDR2 @ 760mhz | 750gb Hitachi 7k1000 | Corsair 520HX | 2 x Samsung SyncMaster T240 24" | Windows 7 Ultimate

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Thanks K.

Dutchman,
    I was actually thinking the very same thing, but in reverse...running a duct to feed it fresh air.
    Seems like it might require a hellacious fan to suck air through the sink and out of the case....

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    great heatsink if it works, as kaiweiler said i have it. i'm usually around 37 underload and 31 idle. again with a 2800+ at standard speed. Problem is gigabyte are f`cking stupid. When i got it all installed it worked great except for the fan speed controller that comes with it didn't work it just stayed on 4000 rpm . so i got looking at it. The dumb f`cks put 2 of the 3 wires backwards. so i switch then and soldered them (sp?) and it works alright now but runs at 2000 rpm on 4000 rmp and the other way around.
    looks great in the case 2, very bright blue LED.
    :beerchug:

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Originally posted by clocker@14 April 2004 - 23:49
    Thanks K.

Dutchman,
    I was actually thinking the very same thing, but in reverse...running a duct to feed it fresh air.
    Seems like it might require a hellacious fan to such air through and out of the case....
    Not THAT powerful.

Think of all the hot air that can be removed from the case without it polluting the case with heat.
    Thus the case will stay cooler, and
    thus there is a good supply of pretty cool air in the case already.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Originally posted by clocker@14 April 2004 - 19:49
    Thanks K.

Dutchman,
    Seems like it might require a hellacious fan to such air through and out of the case....
    np, if theres anythin you wanna know about it just ask, ie temps, rpms, anything like that
    oh and how would you make the duct? would you buy ducting or what would you make it out of? clear would be the best looking in my case i think...any way to make a good clear duct?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    K.

Are the fans held into the center from the top of the heatsink?
    In other words...can the guts be pulled out from the top?
    If so, how is that assembly mounted?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Originally posted by kaiweiler@14 April 2004 - 23:55
    ...... what would you make it out of? clear would be the best looking in my case i think...any way to make a good clear duct?
    You could make an acrylic duct.

Here an acrylic duct:

(Pic from SilentPCreview.com)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast