Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thumbs.db

What exactly are thumbs.db? If there not usefull how do I delete them? I tried the show system files and folders thing and that still isint doing the trick. Anytone know how to get rid of them? Thanks.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    You have to show hidden files and system files. Then you should see them
    On a given day or given circumstance, you think you have a limit.
    And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit and you think "Ok, this is the limit".
    As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further.
    With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Out of The Ordinary
    1. Go to Run in the startmenu
    2. Type gpedit.msc
    3. Click OK and the Group Policy will open
    4. Go to User Configuration/Administrative Template/Windows Components/Windows Explorer
    5. Scroll down to the bottom of the long list of stuff that now shows up in the menu on the right. Double-Click on Turn off caching of thumbnail pictures.
    6. Click on Enable then Apply, Ok. And now you no longer have this annoying problem.

BOT

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by Jts87@11 April 2004 - 14:07
    What exactly are thumbs.db? If there not usefull how do I delete them? I tried the show system files and folders thing and that still isint doing the trick. Anytone know how to get rid of them? Thanks.
    1. Click on "CONTROL PANEL" from the Start Menu.
    2. Click on "FOLDER OPTIONS" in the Control Panel.
    3. Click the view tab
    4. Tick the "DO NOT CACHE THUMBNAILS" box and then click apply

Thumbnail cache sounds like what it is. It caches your thumbnails for when you may have your folder view on thumbnails, you can see pictures, media, and other icons easily. It can crash explorer if you have to many thumbnails to display and I think it's a good idea to turn it off and use "List" view instead.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Originally posted by [B][O][T]@11 April 2004 - 20:17
    2. Type gpedit.msc
    Im stuck it tells me Windows cannot find....

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Out of The Ordinary
    Do what shn posted instead.

BOT

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    Originally posted by Jts87+11 April 2004 - 19:21--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Jts87 @ 11 April 2004 - 19:21)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-&#091;B
    [O][T],11 April 2004 - 20:17] 2. Type gpedit.msc
    Im stuck it tells me Windows cannot find.... [/b][/quote]
    If you&#39;re on XP Home it won&#39;t work
    On a given day or given circumstance, you think you have a limit.
    And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit and you think &quot;Ok, this is the limit&quot;.
    As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further.
    With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Originally posted by shn@11 April 2004 - 20:21
    1. Click on "CONTROL PANEL" from the Start Menu.
    &nbsp; 2. Click on "FOLDER OPTIONS" in the Control Panel.
    &nbsp; 3. Click the view tab
    &nbsp; 4. Tick the "DO NOT CACHE THUMBNAILS" box and then click apply

Thumbnail cache sounds like what it is.&nbsp; It caches your thumbnails for when you may have your folder view on thumbnails, you can see pictures, media, and other icons easily.&nbsp; It can crash explorer if you have to many thumbnails to display and I think it&#39;s a good idea to turn it off and use "List" view instead.
    I think that did it. Thank you guys for all the help&#33;

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    That&#39;s because XP Home uses a "Local" Security Policy.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Well the server is back up and I checked my self on SS. The thumbs are still there. . Anyone have anymore tips how how to get them to not show up on SS?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast