Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Make Dvd Movie To Avi

ShareDaddy's Avatar OLD ShareDaddy
    Several different ways to do this correctly, most of which has either been posted here or in another string elsewhere on this forum.

Smartripper used to be my ripping tool of choice, however there were several movies that just would not rip correctly using it so I have converted over to using DVDDecrypter, has not let me down.

Always use multiple passes when encoding the vob's to avi using Vidomi, the more passes the better the Quality. DIVX5 codec use 3 pass and XVID use the 2 pass extended. All depends on the codec on how many passes it will allow, try and always use the highest pass number.

I have posted a step by step guide (created by someone else) on this forum in several areas for doing the rip and encode, sig2dat hash for entire file including pictures and text only, just pasted directly into the string or topic. Check out my movie string, I think I posted the text only version there. But try for the sig2dat file, it will have color pictues as well as hotlinks to the free downloadable software you will need.

Good luck either way you choose to do it.

2. Movies & TV   -   #12
    Good to see you like Vidomi too ShareDaddy. There are so many new programs out there these days, although a lot of them seem to be for copying DVD to DVD. I only have an ancient, in relative terms, 600MHz Athlon and it does take quite a while to do the conversion. What sort of times are you experiencing for an average length movie?

And how about you JmiF with DVD Copy Plus - just wondering if it was any quicker?

I've got Xmpeg on my comp, but I've never used it - it's meant to be an improvement on Flaskmpeg.

To be honest I don't do much ripping because it's hard to get decent up to date DVD's in this ocean of ex-pats on the Costa Blanca! Video still rules in the hire shops....yuk

3. Movies & TV   -   #13
    Av a look here:::

dvd rip instructions & programs to use

Ya best bet is to print this lot off to make things easyier

Hope it helps

4. Movies & TV   -   #14
    It's much easier to use Vidomi. You just rip the vob files with SmartRipper and Vidomi does the rest.

5. Movies & TV   -   #15
    ShareDaddy's Avatar OLD ShareDaddy
    Originally posted by Crackedup@13 March 2003 - 14:13
    I only have an ancient, in relative terms, 600MHz Athlon and it does take quite a while to do the conversion. What sort of times are you experiencing for an average length movie?
    Ripping using DVD Decrypter takes about 2 1/2 mintues all the way to 15 minutes, depending on the original file size. Encoding with Vidomi has taken me as little as 2 and 1/2 hours and as many as 7 hours, all depending on file sizes, number of VOB's and how long since my last re-format. My average for a normal movie is probably 3 1/2 to 4 hours.

To be honest it get's faster (encoding) as I go, then right after a reformat it is rather slow, it seems to learn as it goes and speeds up, do not ask me why, it just does. I run a 2.26 GHz P4 with a 533 MHz front side bus, this increases my actual performance to 2.4 GHz. I have 512 Mb's of DDR ram and 240 Gb's of internal HD space, the more HD space I have available the quicker it seems to run.

EDIT: Question for anyone in the know - Does anyone know what settings to use with Vidomi on the new DIVX 5.03 Codecs? I have not been able to use them, it makes a crap copy every time I try, so lately it has been XVID, of whihc I am not totally thrilled with, but it does an alright job. Let me know if you know how to set it up for HQ stuff.

6. Movies & TV   -   #16
    Well Im Still tryin to use vidomi
    Cant Seem to get the hang on the docs on the site
    can sumone plz giv me an simplified way?
    Im Usin DVDDecrypter and KL Codec Pack 2.0 and Vidomi thanx

7. Movies & TV   -   #17
    Think I need to upgrade MY PC !! Have you checked out the Vidomi Forum SD? Here's a couple of links that might interest you:

Vidomi Forum 1

Vidomi Forum 2

8. Movies & TV   -   #18
    I've tried various tools over the past few months (some with some quite attrocious results), but have eventually settle on Gordian Knot. It's non-trivial to use, but does offer a trememdous amount of control. You can get it from www.doom9.org, and they also have some nice step by step guides on how to get through your first rip.

Good luck!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12