Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oc Temps

vivitron 15's Avatar Poster
    k, i finally took the plunge today and oced my pc.

i have a p4 2GHz - as standard, fsb=100, multiplier=20

very first oc went amazingly - upped the fsb from 100 to 101, no problems to report - all ran smooth @ 2020MHz!

then i went for a couple of increases and tried 2100MHz (fsb=105). booted fine, so i decided to run a test, I ran prime95 "torture test" to max out cpu and ram for a couple of hours, whilst monitoring my temps.

Under full load, i ended up at 50C CPU; after the test, it dropped pretty damn quickly to 40C. now i cant remember what this was before the oc, but do they seem reasonable, or should i be thinking about sorting out the airflow etc before going much further? asus probe has the default critical temp of 60C - does this seem a reasonable level to stick under?
    <insert signature here>

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    50 degC is hardly a fatal temp, but of course you would like it to be lower.

Maybe you can load MBM5 and keep an eye on some critcal temps (chip, board and HDD, for instance) while using your machine normally...after all, unless you are folding, it&#39;s not likely that you&#39;ll be running your chip at 100% all the time.

In a perfect world, I like to see full load temps in the 35-37 deg. range, but this is not always practical ( or achievable ), and I am probably overly compulsive about temps anyway.

It would be nice if you could knock a few degrees off though....
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by clocker@15 April 2004 - 14:23
    50 degC is hardly a fatal temp, but of course you would like it to be lower.

Maybe you can load MBM5 and keep an eye on some critcal temps (chip, board and HDD, for instance) while using your machine normally...after all, unless you are folding, it&#39;s not likely that you&#39;ll be running your chip at 100% all the time.

In a perfect world, I like to see full load temps in the 35-37 deg. range, but this is not always practical ( or achievable ), and I am probably overly compulsive about temps anyway.

It would be nice if you could knock a few degrees off though....
    so clocker, what are your current load temps at? are they actually in the 30&#39;s?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Yes.

Running at 100% (Folding), right now I&#39;m at 34 deg.C.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by clocker@15 April 2004 - 17:26
    Yes.

Running at 100% (Folding), right now I&#39;m at 34 deg.C.

those temps are amasing. what aare your idle temps?

btw, does anybody know what a good temp for a celeron 633mhz is? my friends is 27c idle and i want to OC it but he wont let me because he thinks that temp is high

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Idle is around 30C, but I&#39;m rarely idling....

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    vivitron 15's Avatar Poster
    holy crap - i just put mine back to standard 2000mhz to do some testing and playing, and im running 40C idle and ~48C using Prime95...

i gotta buy a nice big fan, then im off ocing again
    <insert signature here>

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    I&#39;ve noticed a recent spike in my temps where as they used to be 41*c idle they&#39;re now 45*c.. I&#39;d put it down to the weather but I live in England it&#39;s hardy hot at the best of times
    I wasn't going to buy it in the first place, so me downloading it for free isn't losing them any money.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    Holy Crap&#33; I&#39;m starting to get worried now, just checked my BIOS and my CPU temp is 66°C, and I haven&#39;t even OC&#39;d it

I have a Matsonic MS8147C+ Mobo with a Barton Athlon XP2500 chipset. I have two case fans (one at the back and a neon one on the window of the case) and according to my GFX card the ambient temp is 33°C.

Are these temps too high? and if so what do you all recommend to cool it?
    <span style='font-family:Arial'><span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>Barton Athlon XP2500, 512Mb DDR RAM, Creative Blaster 5 fx5950 Ultra, Creative Audigy 2 ZS Platinum, Win XP</span></span>

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by Cenobite@17 April 2004 - 14:11
    Holy Crap&#33; I&#39;m starting to get worried now, just checked my BIOS and my CPU temp is 66°C, and I haven&#39;t even OC&#39;d it

I have a Matsonic MS8147C+ Mobo with a Barton Athlon XP2500 chipset. I have two case fans (one at the back and a neon one on the window of the case) and according to my GFX card the ambient temp is 33°C.

Are these temps too high? and if so what do you all recommend to cool it?
    those temps are veyr high, id hate to see ur load temp

Have you ever removed your heatsync from your cpu? if so then you should have bought some arctic silver 5 to put on, a thermal pad can only be used once, after the heatsync is removed it is ruined and you need a new one.

either way i recomend you make sure ur case has good airflow (neat and tidy) and that all your fans are working, if thats all ok and the temps are still high then i recomend you buy some arctic silver 5 to apply to your heatsync.

instructions for applying arctic silver 5 are found HERE&#33;

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast