Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2910111213141522 ... LastLast

Thread: Sprocket's New Home

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Sorry...couldn't resist.
    I've been tinkering with the balance of my fan speeds and I think I finally hit the "sweet spot".

My experience with case airflow has lead me to believe that the interaction of all the fans in a case is a very delicate thing, and even slight variations can make a disproportionate difference.
    Now that I can control each of my eight fans individually I've been slowly but surely dialling in the setup.
    I think that these figures serve to prove my point.

These figures are with the CPU at idle most of the time, there were brief periods of Folding ( hence the spike up to 38c) for maybe 1/2 hour total.
    The case was completely buttoned up, all panels installed.
    Room ambient ( as reported by the Aerogate temp sensor) was 23c.

So, what's the point?
    Well, my seemingly obsessive pursuit of lower temps was not just an idle hobby.
    Sprocket's latest case embodies all the tweaks that previous cases have suffered to provide.
    Air cooling can be extremely effective if properly deployed.
    Randomly adding/subtracting/upgrading fans will not get you where you want to be.
    If you persevere and proceed with deliberation your PC can run just as you hope.

Sorry for being grandiose here.
    It's an occupational hazard.

"I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. Software & Hardware   -   #112
    lynx's Avatar .
    Clocker, I notice you've got a clock speed of 2303MHz, but which processor is that?
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #113
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    I think he has a 2600+. Could be wrong.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #114
    No, you're correct.

2600+ T-bred.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #115
    Right then.
    I finally got around to a project that I've been pondering for a while.
    CoolerMaster makes alloy faceplates for optical drives and they look sweet.
    I've had a set of the black anodized ones and decided today to mount them and make remote switches to open the drives also.

Of course, this was not as simple as I had hoped.
    CoolerMaster claims that the activating button will align with " most" drives, but, of the three drives that I have, the button was wrong for all of them. Close, but no banana.
    Since I was going to wire remote switches anyway this wasn't a major deal, just irritating.
    I fooled around for a few hours trying to mock up a good way to get the alloy switch plate to activate my stock switches but ultimately decided it wasn't worth the hassle and just glued the cover into the faceplate so I didn't have a hole visible.

CoolerMaster wants you to use doublesided tape to attach the alloy to the plastic bezel of the drive.
    This led to the second problem.
    Neither of the drives I wanted to use had a nice flat faceplate.
    Poop.
    I could use multiple layers of tape to build up the various levels to the same height, but this seemed kinda ghetto so I opted to break out the GOOP, remove the stock plastic bezels altogether, and glue the alloy plates to the metal housings of the drives.
    This worked out rather well and left the stock parts untouched, so I could revert back in the future ( unlikely).

The camera doesn't do justice to the final result...the alloy bezels look quite good and have added a nice touch of understated elegance to Sprocket's face
    The two new activating switches are mounted right at the top of the front casebezel where they are readily accessable when Sprocket is in place at my desk.

Whew...glad that's over.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #116
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by clocker@4 May 2004 - 02:19
    Right then.
    I finally got around to a project that I've been pondering for a while.
    CoolerMaster makes alloy faceplates for optical drives and they look sweet.
    I've had a set of the black anodized ones and decided today to mount them and make remote switches to open the drives also.

Of course, this was not as simple as I had hoped.
    CoolerMaster claims that the activating button will align with " most" drives, but, of the three drives that I have, the button was wrong for all of them. Close, but no banana.
    Since I was going to wire remote switches anyway this wasn't a major deal, just irritating.
    I fooled around for a few hours trying to mock up a good way to get the alloy switch plate to activate my stock switches but ultimately decided it wasn't worth the hassle and just glued the cover into the faceplate so I didn't have a hole visible.

CoolerMaster wants you to use doublesided tape to attach the alloy to the plastic bezel of the drive.
    This led to the second problem.
    Neither of the drives I wanted to use had a nice flat faceplate.
    Poop.
    I could use multiple layers of tape to build up the various levels to the same height, but this seemed kinda ghetto so I opted to break out the GOOP, remove the stock plastic bezels altogether, and glue the alloy plates to the metal housings of the drives.
    This worked out rather well and left the stock parts untouched, so I could revert back in the future ( unlikely).

The camera doesn't do justice to the final result...the alloy bezels look quite good and have added a nice touch of understated elegance to Sprocket's face
    The two new activating switches are mounted right at the top of the front casebezel where they are readily accessable when Sprocket is in place at my desk.

Whew...glad that's over.
    sweet!

and nice touch with the "on" lettering over the on switch, very classy.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #117
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Tres elegante.

A splendid example of well-executed "one-off-ness"...

Maybe "two-off-ness", or even more.

As a neophyte in H-World, I'm can't be sure.

How's about, A New Paradigm of "Cool"?

Yeah, I like that!

I bet other computors want to have sex with yours.....
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

8. Software & Hardware   -   #118
    Originally posted by j2k4@4 May 2004 - 07:33

Just so.

Sprocket has begging for me to arrange a "play date" with my neighbor's Dell, but I don't trust his intentions.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #119
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by clocker+4 May 2004 - 07:54--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker @ 4 May 2004 - 07:54)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-j2k4@4 May 2004 - 07:33

Just so.

Sprocket has begging for me to arrange a "play date" with my neighbor&#39;s Dell, but I don&#39;t trust his intentions. [/b][/quote]
    Oooooooh.

Don&#39;t want to do that, uh-uh.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

10. Software & Hardware   -   #120
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    how does your overclocked CPU run at 22idle....damnnn lol
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2910111213141522 ... LastLast