Thread: Best Ebook Reader

BANNED
    hi guys, what do you think is the best ebook reading software out there? I want to know because I would like to find the easiest and most comfortable on to read with.

2. Lounge   -   #2
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    It depends on what format you've got your stuff in. What type are most of yours?

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

3. Lounge   -   #3
    BANNED
    .pdf

I currently use adobe ebook reader and it's ok

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    It also depends on where you read your ebooks. I don't like reading on a PC so I DL it to my PDA and use MS-Reader (.lit) or µBook (.PDB, .PRC, .TXT, .RTF and .HTML).

5. Lounge   -   #5
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    Most of mine are .PDF as well.

I tend to just use Adobe Acrobat (but not Acrobat Reader).

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

6. Lounge   -   #6
    PDF was created so the same document would look exactly the same on any computer, even on computers running different OSes. You can print stuff out even if you don't have the program the document was created in (such as QuarkXPress or MS Excel).

For reading books, though, I think a program which was designed for that purpose is better. In programs like Microsoft Reader or Mobipocket Reader, you can increase the font size without ever having to worry about scrolling left/right or even up/down. They show one page at a time with no scrollbars, just like a real book. These programs are more like Notepad than Acrobat Reader, except that you can bookmark pages and return to the last page you were reading when the program starts.

Another advantage dedicated e-book readers have is that the program window is usually locked at an optimal width. Having to read very long horizontal lines of text is tiring and slows you down. Since e-book readers are designed for nothing but reading, they can do things like that. Acrobat Reader wouldn't be very useful if you were stuck with a certain window size, because it's used for more than just basic reading.

I prefer MS Reader over Mobipocket, mostly because when you go backward and forward in Mobi you don't always end up at the same place, and also because I couldn't get it to uninstall properly. MS Reader has a "riffle bar" at the bottom that lets you instantly jump to any page, but how often do you read a book in random order? You can close it so the screen looks just like the page of a book, but every time you start the program it's there again. (In other words, try a few programs to find one you like, then report back with your thoughts&#33

7. Lounge   -   #7
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    I use repligo (.rgo) a lot.

But that's only 'cuz I'e got it in my cellphone.

8. Lounge   -   #8
    I like MS Reader too, mainly because .lit files are so small.

I get a feeling not many people know how to create .pdf files properly, because often I download a 10mb file to find it only has 10 or 12 pages to it (these are mainly comics or graphic novels) but I've seen some shockingly huge text based books as well.