Thread: Link 3 Pcs With 2 Cat5 Cables...

Poster
    Is it possible to link three pcs using just two cat5 cables (no hub)?
    The central pc will have 2 ethernet ports, so is it possible to link PC number one to 2 and number 3 to two with cat5 cables? Thus, numbers one and three will not be directly linked...

Is this possible and if so, is it reasonably easy?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice
    On a given day or given circumstance, you think you have a limit.
    And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit and you think "Ok, this is the limit".
    As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further.
    With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    xp has a software bridge built in so you can link 2 (or more) networks on a pc with 2 or more network connections http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto...-xp-bridge.asp
    never used it so thats about the limit of my knowledge.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    um , the cat 5 cables need to be crossconnect ( crossover cables ) , not standard cables

its will not work if you try it with standard network cables

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    It is possible, you will need to either buy or make some cross over cables. You could buy them some where online I am sure, or if you have a cable making kit you could make some. Use this to make a cross-over cable.

Disclaimer: Before anyone says that it is wrong, there are may different color combinations you could use to make the cross over cable, just depends where you put the colors and how you arrange them. This is just the combination I have memorized and I know it works.

EDITED: Inserted Picture

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    lynx's Avatar .
    Just to add to what firefox said, that order is looking at the RJ45 plug with the clip away from you and the metal contact pins at the top.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. Lamsey managed to make it work using bridging
    On a given day or given circumstance, you think you have a limit.
    And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit and you think "Ok, this is the limit".
    As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further.
    With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.