Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please Help Me!

Poster
    My sister was playing on the sims as she always does before I get back home from school. Once she had got of the sims i tried opening some programs firefox, msn etc. Nothing was working so i turned my pc of from the wall and it began to load up. All seemed fine until the XP logo comes across the screen and then the pc restarts itself. I then tried to run my pc in mandrake and could not get it to work. So in the mandrake installer i wiped my linux partitions and then used my sony PC recovery disks to reinstall windows and restore my pc to its normal settings.(by this state i was really upset that i have lost all my music, documents COURSEWORK. The recovery disks said that it needed to partition the drive that i had my C and D drive on so i did wiping the drive clean. and adding the new drives. Then i reinstalled factory settings from the disks. After I did that I turned of my pc to get the usual black screen whitw writing saying stuff about masters and slaves etc... Then before windows loads up i get a black screen with the text
      Press A key to reboot
    i have tried disconecting my second hard drive and am now currently partitioning the drive again and trying to get my pc working again. I need help guys this is a real big problem if i cannot get my pc working. PLEASE HELP ME!!!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    guy it would really help does anyone know anything of the sort? Is there a way to manually wipe the hard drive or so that i can write to it again? PLEASE?

If formatting my pc doesnt work i am going to remove the maxor drive and try with just my digital western drive and try to get the sony disk to write onto that. Anyone know anything i can do?

maybe its not that bad xp seems to be ok just now *taps wood*

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    thanks for all your support guys, you have all been great help! My maxtor drive was wiped and everything lost, is there any way to retreive the data?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    RGX's Avatar Unstoppable
    So you repartitioned it? Did you do this by low level format or standard format by any chance?

Oh and by the way, this should probably be in software world.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    forget the recovery cd, get a hold of windows xp pro cd, boot with it and format the drive during the install and all should be fine.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    i couldn't find my xp cd. and i didn't know how the CDs partitioned it. I have my pc back now but i have to install all my software and stuff. I;m not that bothered now i have gotten over it.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    atiVidia's Avatar ^would've been cool.
    Originally posted by Marius24@21 April 2004 - 11:29
    i couldn't find my xp cd.  and i didn't know how the CDs partitioned it.  I have my pc back now but i have to install all my software and stuff.  I;m not that bothered now i have gotten over it.
    find something like file scavenger if u want ur course work back.

i can send u a copy if u cant find 1.

oh yea this only werkz if u did a low level format not a full 2 hour format

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    i managed to find a copy and find the files are there. Could you send me the copy?

edit, the copy i have is a demo

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    just to reinforce the earlier advice: you should ditch the "recovery" discs and get a plain Windows CD. recovery discs are usually hard drive images on a CD (or set of CDs), and they will want to reformat your drive in order to restore it to factory condition. it's a totally different thing from a regular Windows installer, which gives you the option of simply repairing the Windows folder and leaving the rest of your stuff intact.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Poster
    Originally posted by 3RA1N1AC@21 April 2004 - 21:37
    just to reinforce the earlier advice: you should ditch the "recovery" discs and get a plain Windows CD.  recovery discs are usually hard drive images on a CD (or set of CDs), and they will want to reformat your drive in order to restore it to factory condition.  it's a totally different thing from a regular Windows installer, which gives you the option of simply repairing the Windows folder and leaving the rest of your stuff intact.
    i now know that. My first opinion was to locate the XP disk but did not managed to find it (and still haven't). I have and XP disk next to my case ready for the next time it fks up and i am now planning to network all my documents to a second PC and keep regualr back-ups saved on the second PC... Next time i will be prepared B)

After all this is a learning experience, a chance to realise from my mistakes and time for me to prepare.

edit, i dont think a XP disk would have helped (have not tried it) The drive seemed to have been wiped and it wasn't partitioned (wasn't when i reinstalled, was before) :fugley:
    i have no idea how though

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast