Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tragedy In North Korea

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    This apparently just happened a short while ago at a depot or station where Kim Jong-Il had gone through mere hours before, though nobody is, as yet, leaping to any conclusions about that.

Details are, of course, very sketchy; this incident was sussed by the South Korean military.

Post if you can add anything, OK?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Retired

I read 3000 deaths,
    1 train was loaded with oil and the other with LPG

Stupid is that Korea closed all phoneconnections in the whole COUNTRY so this could not be reported 2 other countries

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    Originally posted by {I}{K}{E}@22 April 2004 - 18:40

I read 3000 deaths,
    1 train was loaded with oil and the other with LPG

Stupid is that Korea closed all phoneconnections in the whole COUNTRY so this could not be reported 2 other countries
    They are a very cagey country, they don't like nothing to get out about what they are up too.

Sad event though

N Korea train blast 'kills many'
    The North Korean leader's train passed through hours earlier
    Up to 3,000 people have been killed or injured in a huge explosion after two fuel trains collided in North Korea, reports say.

The blast happened at Ryongchon station, 50km north of Pyongyang, South Korea's YTN television said.

The incident reportedly happened nine hours after North Korean leader Kim Jong-il passed through the station on his way home from a visit to Beijing.

Mr Kim had been in China to discuss North Korea's nuclear programme.

South Korea's Yonhap news agency said the colliding trains were carrying gasoline and gas, and that they crashed at around 1300 local time (0400 GMT).

'Bombardment'

The report was based on information from unnamed Chinese sources near the border with North Korea, said news agencies.

It was not possible to obtain independent confirmation of the number of casualties, as North Korea is notoriously secretive and rarely reports its own accidents.

World's worst rail disasters

"The station was destroyed as if hit by a bombardment and debris flew high into the sky," Yonhap quoted its sources as saying.

The BBC's Kevin Kim in the South Korean capital, Seoul, says there are various theories about the explosion, including speculation that it may have been an assassination attempt against the North Korean leader.

However, he says this has been dismissed by the South Korean authorities, who believe it was an accident.

Emergency

Our correspondent says another theory is that liquefied petroleum gas carried in one of the trains was a gift from China to North Korea after Mr Kim's visit to Beijing.

Yonhap said the North Korean authorities had declared a state of emergency in the area and cut off all international telephone lines, apparently to stop news of the accident spreading.

The agency quoted a South Korean defence ministry official as confirming that the explosion had taken place.

But a Chinese railway worker at the Dandong border crossing, contacted by Reuters news agency, said he had not heard of a blast and had seen no signs of any emergency effort under way.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    I heard another report regarding the media blackout; something to the effect these types of disasters happen in N. Korea fairly often, but aren't reported.

Apparently the proximity to China and/or the placement/abilities of S. Korean military capability is the only reason we are hearing anything at all.

I also hear an offer of aid is being considered by the U.S.; hope Kim's not so coy as to turn it down out of his own vanity-commentators are already speculating this could happen.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Originally posted by j2k4@22 April 2004 - 19:47
    I also hear an offer of aid is being considered by the U.S.; hope Kim's not so coy as to turn it down out of his own vanity-commentators are already speculating this could happen.
    I wouldn't be at all surprised if that didn't happen.

it was only a short while ago that there was dissagreements between the two countries is it not? Something to do with the nuclear capabilities and general axis of evil mutterings

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    SeK612's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10

The trains were supposed to be carrying fuel. The picture thats being shown is just a reconstruction picture as there are very few pictures and a media blackout. Nothing is being shown on North Korean TV about the accident and the casualties.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Originally posted by danb+22 April 2004 - 12:56--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (danb @ 22 April 2004 - 12:56)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-j2k4@22 April 2004 - 19:47
    I also hear an offer of aid is being considered by the U.S.; hope Kim&#39;s not so coy as to turn it down out of his own vanity-commentators are already speculating this could happen.
    I wouldn&#39;t be at all surprised if that didn&#39;t happen.

it was only a short while ago that there was dissagreements between the two countries is it not? Something to do with the nuclear capabilities and general axis of evil mutterings [/b][/quote]
    This would be what one might call an "extra-political" situation; regardless of what has passed recently, we would still tender help.

Please inform me if you weren&#39;t attempting sarcasm?

-Mark Twain

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Originally posted by j2k4+22 April 2004 - 22:20--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (j2k4 @ 22 April 2004 - 22:20)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by danb@22 April 2004 - 12:56
    <!--QuoteBegin-j2k4
    @22 April 2004 - 19:47
    I also hear an offer of aid is being considered by the U.S.; hope Kim&#39;s not so coy as to turn it down out of his own vanity-commentators are already speculating this could happen.

I wouldn&#39;t be at all surprised if that didn&#39;t happen.

it was only a short while ago that there was dissagreements between the two countries is it not? Something to do with the nuclear capabilities and general axis of evil mutterings
    This would be what one might call an "extra-political" situation; regardless of what has passed recently, we would still tender help.

Please inform me if you weren&#39;t attempting sarcasm? [/b][/quote]
    I didn&#39;t mean America not offering help I meant North Korea not accepting it

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Sorry-

Thought you meant we had rhetorically talked them out of accepting aid by virtue of our diplomatic efforts.

One never knows, around here.

-Mark Twain

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    sArA's Avatar Ex-Moderatererer
    Originally posted by j2k4@22 April 2004 - 21:48
    Sorry-

Thought you meant we had rhetorically talked them out of accepting aid by virtue of our diplomatic efforts.

One never knows, around here.
    I know that the US gets a lot of flack...some justified, some not, but their willingness to suppy aid in a tragedy is one that I would not fault. It is nearly always the US who offers first.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast