Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: Improve Windows Xp Pro Security

To add to what's already been said:

Firstly - agee that this should be a sticky as a lot of users may not be aware of what's going on with their own PC

Secondly I refer (again) to this thread which I've referred to before - previously regarding PeerGuardian but has lots of good security tips: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthrea...&threadid=82920

Thirdly - something like NIS is great if you're an average to intermediate PC/internet user like myself - though it may spoon-feed you at times and stop you doing what you want but once you understand what you're doing then you can progress onto more advanced settings and get to know what it all means (hope that makes sense!?)

2. File Sharing   -   #42
    The Reaper
    Originally posted by Wolfmight@20 April 2003 - 17:52
    Yea, also heard home tends to crash more often for some weird reason.
    If i were you, snag a copy of Windows XP Pro (goto the verifieds section of this message board to get a good copy).
    I have been using home edition for 12 months now and have never had any crash problems

3. File Sharing   -   #43
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    It really depends on the type of user.. A high-end user can make windows 98 a safe place on a slow machine while a newbie could make windows xp freeze/lock-up very badly on a 3.0ghz.
    A good user knows how to prevent such problems.

4. File Sharing   -   #44
    chalkmongoose
    If you learn (as I've said countless times) the basics of IPSEC security policies, than you will be fine. A good set of policies can be a replacement for anything short of a corporate firewall system (like one provided for enterprise clients by Symantic, called Velociraptor)

5. File Sharing   -   #45
    There's allways a way to get past something

6. File Sharing   -   #46
    This topic would be a great pinned for an "Internet" or "Security" forum.. hmm. software sorta sounds close. Maybe there should be a Security section in "Software" or "Tips".

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345