Thread: Sony Dru-500ax Dvd (re)writer.

Poster
    Just wondered if it was all it's cracked up to be,any info. would be useful Re:best media to use etc,software conflicts,
    eg can both Nero & supplied software be installed & used successfully side by side.

Also interested in the fundamental differences in the formats (DVD-R & DVD+R ) in the 'real world',do they both play ok in a standalone DVD player for example?

2. Movies & TV   -   #2
    Poster
    I suggest you go over here and see what ppl say about it =) You can also find explanations on the different formats, what they are etc etc.

3. Movies & TV   -   #3
    ShareDaddy's Avatar OLD ShareDaddy
    I am currently looking at buying that drive, a friend already has and it is the one to buy. It allows you to use various media types so it will be compatible in the future and currently allows you to use the cheapest dvd media (DVD-R) and the end product will even play in Sony PS2's so it is very cool and works great.

As far as the software he is using, well that is something I am not totally familiar with, I do know he uses a program to encode (compact) the vob files after they have been ripped, but he uses the burning software that came with the drive. He is also able to burn 1x RITEK DVD-R's (80 cents a piece in bulk) at 2x so he saves money right off the bat (1x are always cheaper than 2x).

I would say good choice if you are in the market for a DVD burner, specially since the world of PC's has just chosen +R as the format of the future, this will insure your burner can use the cheaper media now (-R) and the +R media when it is all that is available.

Hopefully this all made sense, good luck.

4. Movies & TV   -   #4
    Poster
    Many thanks Danne,needless to say I'd read many reviews/web pages etc.but missed the best & most obvious one (dvdr help,which is in my favourites....duh !!&#33 which you kindly pointed me to.

Having read plenty of user reviews I'm inclined to agree with you SD,now then where's that screwdriver to take that old Ricoh out & consign it to history.

5. Movies & TV   -   #5
    Poster
    I have the ax and its a beautiful thang. Before I bought it I read probably 2000 reviews it would seem and it all came down to this one. Easy to install and easy to use. The tricky part is backing up your dvds.........hehe. I got it down to 45min to a hour. Have fun and enjoy.

6. Movies & TV   -   #6
    Jibbler's Avatar proud member of MDS
    Originally posted by ShareDaddy@14 March 2003 - 09:40
    I would say good choice if you are in the market for a DVD burner, specially since the world of PC's has just chosen +R as the format of the future, this will insure your burner can use the cheaper media now (-R) and the +R media when it is all that is available.
    This is not true. -R is the most popular type currently, with +R being a format designed by Sony. This may or may not become the standard in the future. -R discs have a higher compatibility rating with standalone players.

I use a Pioneer DVD-R drive, the A05, which burns at 4x. An excellent quality drive if I've ever seen one. However, the DVD format is still being hashed out by the DVD Consoritium (the governing body who determines the software "standard".) Future changes will probably come about due to the growing popularity of DVD Audio.

On another note, a project is currently being worked on to create a new DVD format which will hold 1 TB of disk space (equal to the storage space of 300 DVDs). These new discs will feature a multilayer format, which will be backwards compatible with current DVDs.--

Jibbler
    Proud member of MDS

7. Movies & TV   -   #7
    Poster
    Well,I've decided to order aforementioned hardware,the gas bill can wait a couple of weeks methinks.
    It seems this item's still as rare as rockin' horse s**t at present here in the UK,but I managed to get a reasonable price,and it should be with me in a couple of weeks.

Thanks again to all you guys for the positive input.

-------------------
    Dingoesdonuts
    -------------------