Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Western Digital Hard Drives

Chame1eon's Avatar Super Freak
    wev'e got 3 computers and have recent ly gotten a few new hard drives. about 2 weeks after we start using them we get corrupt data. weve replaced allof them under warrenty and now it is happening again. One of the computers is a new factory computer and the other 2 are made from mostly new parts. they don't have anything in common except western digital hard drives, amd processors and our house. does anyone know what is happening ? I thousht western digital was good brand.
    I only licked you for the salt

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Double Agent
    it is a good hard drive, if you are getting corrupt data either you didn't handle the data properly or you messed up somehow

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    it's four different hard drives in 3 computers (one came whitht e nwe computer).
    messed up somehow
    how?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    RGX's Avatar Unstoppable
    Im doubtful its the hard drives fault...dont suppose you have any large unsheilded magnets nearby (ie speakers)? Or where the hard drives are stored before installation? This can corrupt data and generally screw the drive around.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    there aren't any unsheilded magnets

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by Chame1eon@28 April 2004 - 03:53
    One of the computers is a new factory computer and the other 2 are made from mostly new parts..
    How come you are replacing the HDD on a new PC?

Just curious.

Anyway, all manufacturers have a failure rate, but you are experiencing a rate of 100% which is beyond mere coincidence.

Something else is going on.
    What exactly do you mean by "corrupt data"?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    lynx's Avatar .
    This is unlikely to be the cause, but what are the temps like on these HD's.

Other than that I would repeat clocker's question about what you mean by corrupt data.

If the data is corrupt when you write it to the disk, it isn't going to be any better when you read it back. But if it is ok initially, it is more likely that you have a configuration error and are overwriting the data.

What size are the drives, how are the drives configured in bios, and what OS are you using?
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Corrupt data can mean a lot of things. Maybe a virus for example.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Double Agent
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@28 April 2004 - 05:59
    virus dont usually corrupt data, they corrput or cripple operating systems....but then it really depends on what kind of virus you are talking about

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Originally posted by james_bond_rulez+28 April 2004 - 09:15--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (james_bond_rulez @ 28 April 2004 - 09:15)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Virtualbody1234@28 April 2004 - 05:59
    virus dont usually corrupt data, they corrput or cripple operating systems....but then it really depends on what kind of virus you are talking about [/b][/quote]
    Are you really saying that an operating system isn&#39;t data?

In any case Chame1eon hasn&#39;t defined what was meant by "corrupt data".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast