Thread: Quicker Windows Start Up Question?

So if you limit the number of programs that auto launch when you turn on your computer it will start up quicker. in theory.

So I looked at the list of "programs" that auto launch on my computer, and there was about 20.

Some were clearly recognisable such as a program called "mail" but most unreconisable.

like "regtbm" or something.

How do you pair down this list without clearing out required programs for the video cards or sound card etc.

Thanks for any help.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Nightwolf's Avatar Old Guy
    Trial and error. I assume your using msconfig, right? Just go to the Startup tab and uncheck everything you're unsure about, then restart and use your computer like you normally do for a while to see what works and what doesn't. If you want to try and find out what some of those programs are, try typing the filename into Google. I got rid of a lot of unnecessary crap that way. Now all I have loading at startup is "Pointer", "Taskmon", and my HP Printer utility.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    This guy has a pretty informative website. Its worth a look. LINK. He has a whole walk through of start up issues.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Forum Star
    Check out this website: http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/

This guy went through the trouble of listing every program that might be started up on, ... er... starting up.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Forum Star
    @ dingoBaby: Sounds like I'm stealing your post, since I use the same words as you.
    Sorry, It wasn't meant like that.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Actually I am using some custom help program apparently made by Compaq.

It generates a list of the programs that launch at start up. I fear if I unclick the program from the list and save and reboot, that the program in question that I may need will no longer be on the list and be gone for ever into my infinite ignorance.

The google suggestion was a good idea I will try that.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Originally posted by healimonster@14 March 2003 - 21:32
    Actually I am using some custom help program apparently made by Compaq.

It generates a list of the programs that launch at start up. I fear if I unclick the program from the list and save and reboot, that the program in question that I may need will no longer be on the list and be gone for ever into my infinite ignorance.

The google suggestion was a good idea I will try that.
    You really should check out the sites that bender and I gave you (@bender I wont hold it against you...lol). There are definitions for all of the processes and instructions on what and how to disable. Very informative. BTW what OS are you using?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    XP baby!

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    A few days ago i unchecked the ones that were obiviously unessary and tonight i went back to that list and they were still there just unchecked ... so that is good news.

so I unchecked everything and tomorrow I will see if my computer still works.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Poster
    Wow, thanks for that link Bender. That guy was dedicated to figuring out all possibilities. He must have tons of programs.