Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Missing Ram?

I recently installed a 256 meg ram in my computer bringing the total to 384 megs. 2 days later my computer says i have only 368. Dont understand this. where is the other 16 rams of memory?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    well i have a Duron900mhz computer and when I check it using Sis Sandra it only tells me i got a 896mhz cpu and the ram is a little bit off... Don't worry too much about it, its suppose to be like that, im not too sure why though

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Jibbler's Avatar proud member of MDS
    Sounds like the RAM is bad. Sometimes only a few sectors will go bad, and the chip will still work. However, you better replace it now before it goes completely bad.--

Jibbler
    Proud member of MDS

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    ok i guess ill remove the ram and return it to the store for a refund.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    the guy at the computer store says this is normal that virtual memory sometimes uses the ram. Does this sound right or is he trying to get out of replacing the ram.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Rocktron's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by scalerboy@15 March 2003 - 19:13
    the guy at the computer store says this is normal that virtual memory sometimes uses the ram. Does this sound right or is he trying to get out of replacing the ram.
    No he's right!

Your computer uses some of the RAM before it starts Windows. (Depends on your ONBoard RAM&#33
    If your board doesn't have enough of itself it will take some from your installed RAM!

Don't worry... it's normal! If your RAM is bad your computer will beep or give errors! Does it do that? I don't think so!

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    thanks rockton. computer works fine. it just shows missing memory.. ill keep going seems to work fine.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    inwesternpa
    Are you sure that you don't have a built-in video card on your motherboard? It uses your system memory for video memory, and that amount will be subtracted from your available memory.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    If you are checking on bootup, it should display the full amount of ram minus 1 (usually), or check in your bios. If its off in there, then it truely is bad. Virtual memory has nothing to do till the os boots up. This is where you should be checking your ram anyway, not in the os, if you think it is messed up.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Supernatural's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by sleepnmojo@17 March 2003 - 17:40
    If you are checking on bootup, it should display the full amount of ram minus 1 (usually), or check in your bios. If its off in there, then it truely is bad. Virtual memory has nothing to do till the os boots up. This is where you should be checking your ram anyway, not in the os, if you think it is messed up.
    I agree 100%. Check the bios POST. It's shows the truly raw data specs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast